buying trees in bulk

  • monkeyandsofia
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi, we are just about to start reforesting a 2.5 ha site in Andalucia and want to buy pioneer/ nitrogen-fixing plantlets in bulk by post from the UK. Anyone know of a good nursery that stocks these species at a good price?
      Phil & Maureen
      Almonaster la Real
    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Phil & Maureen !

        This sounds like a great project.

        Why are you wanting to buy small plants from the UK to grow in Andalucia ? Aren't you worried that the climate change will kill or damage many of the small trees ? To stand much chance of the plants surviving, I think you will need to plant most during the winter months.

        What is growing on the land already ? I would expect that there are already something like Genista growing locally - this is a good nitrogen fixer, attracts bees and is a pioneer plant:
        http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Genista+hispanica

        There will be other similar wild plants that are used to your conditions already growing on the land, even if it has been heavily agricultural and weedkilled - this does not restrain nature for long !

        I would plant a very few things in easy to access (and water) parts of your land (vegetables and herbs, beneficial insect attracting plants, green manure plants, and a small nursery for trees and shrubs) and let the rest stay fallow for at least 2 years, while you watch to see what plants you already have and where they are growing.

        2.5 ha is a huge area to do this on, even if the land and surrounding land is completely flat and featureless, you will still find quite a lot of variation in wild plants and visiting wildlife.

        If there are some particularly nasty weedy areas you can use some natural help, like Mucuna pruriens v utilis, to smother weeds, add nitrogen and leaf litter to the soil. Mucuna pruriens v utilis is an annual plant and comparatively easy to remove once it has done it's work (just collect the seed pods = no plants next year). The species is being used for no dig agriculture (sweet corn) and weed suppression in South America, Asia and Africa.

        Check carefully the types of plants that will grow well in your conditions, and for plants that might make the land more fertile (like the Mucuna)

        Good luck,
        Matt

        Hi, we are just about to start reforesting a 2.5 ha site in Andalucia and want to buy pioneer/ nitrogen-fixing plantlets in bulk by post from the UK. Anyone know of a good nursery that stocks these species at a good price?
        Phil & Maureen
        Almonaster la Real

        Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        To change settings via email:
        mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • calmond9@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
          I've just planted 13,000 trees. I got them from Crowders nursery in
          Horncastle. I found them very proffessional.

          _www.crowdersnurseries.co.uk/_ (http://www.crowdersnurseries.co.uk/)

          I know they export as when I went to visit them they told me how they grew
          saplings for Scandinavia (which I thought was bizarre)

          Good luck

          Chris

        • Peter Ellis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
            The message <cae.462160f7.3756fbfc@...>
            from calmond9@... contains these words:

            > I've just planted 13,000 trees.

            You've a stronger back than I have ! If I don't ask, someone else will,
            'What sort of trees?'

            Cheers

            Peter
          • monkeyandsofia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
              thanks for the info, will check it out.
              Regards
              Phil
            • calmond9@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
                50% oak 20% silver birch 15% rowan 5% ash 5% hawthorn 5% hazel.

                I had help from my wife and son, but yes the back did suffer.