RE: Cowhorn, Comfrey Compost Tea

  • Denise For Peace
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2009
      Hi, Steve.

      I've heard of this cowhorn thing...  do you know what theory underlies it?

      Also, any specifics for making comfry compost tea?  I'm ready to do some hacking in my comfrey patch and would love to try this.  We have well water.  Five gallon bucket?  Ratio water/comfrey/other herbs?  Does it matter if the comfrey has already flowered?

      On another note:  anyone who doesn't already have an aloe vera plant might consider getting one.  They grow readily from cuttings, so if you know anyone with a plant, you can get your own skin-repair factory going in no time.

      Aloe is a miracle worker with skin!  For anyone who gardens, a must-have.  I harvest a bit every night and rub it on my hands, neck and face to repair damage from the sun and "garden hands."  My right hand also has the unfortunate propensity for cracking open (back of hand and ends of fingers), even when I'm not gardening or doing other rough work.  It seems to be related to stress and nothing topical has ever helped much.  Over the years, I've tried all kinds of lotions and ointments.  The only ones that have worked have been Carmex and home-made concoctions of bee's wax and herbal extracts made by my herbalist friends.  But nothing beats pouring some freshly scraped aloe juice/pulp into a couple of nitrile gloves, mushing it into all the finger tips, and wearing them overnight.  The cracks on the back of my hand will close up and heal in one night!  The cracks on the fingertips (much deeper and very painful) take 2-3 nights to heal
      completely, though there's huge improvement after just one night.  Now that I'm making this a part of my routine, maybe I won't have cracking hands any more!

      **Peace, Denise**

      The Mystery of Life is not a problem to be solved
      but a reality to be experienced.   ~Frank Herbert~
      Denise-Christine
      The Suburban Ecovillage Project
      www.suburbanecovillage.org
      541-688-1442

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2009
        Hi there,

        This is 'Biodynamics' and incorporates growing in tune with the lunar cycles. It also does the 'cowhorn thing', amongst other stuff, which for me personally was just a step too far. A bit too pseudo-science for my liking but that's just me. There is information from wikipaedia;

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodynamic_agriculture

        Lots of people swear by it. Too much worship of Rudolf Stein for my liking.

        Best wishes

        Kate
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          Hi Denise,

          As kate says, the underlying theory is biodynamics, from Rudolph Steiner's
          lectures in the early 1920's.

          Homeopathic preparations of mineral, plant and animal products (usually
          fermented) are used to activate the soil and facilitate nutrient uptake,
          biodiversity and humus building.
          Check out the section on this page titled "The Biodynamic Preparations" ..
          http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/biodynamic.html

          Also http://www.biodynamics.com/biodynamics.html

          One of the basic principles of biodynamic agriculture is the view of the
          whole farm as an organism (not unlike Gaia theory - check out James
          Lovelock). This holistic view is also espoused in Permaculture (Mollison,
          Holmgren et al.), and allows the designer to focus more broadly on the big
          picture, rather than getting bogged down in single areas of management.

          As Kate mentioned, Rudolph Steiner was certainly ecclectic (depending on
          your worldview, you might call him genius, inspired, eccentric, odd, loopy,
          or raving mad) - I say read his stuff and decide for yourself.

          Another aspect of biodynamics is planting in tune with the natural rhythms
          .. Cosmic influences from the sun, moon, planets and stars were some of the
          factors Steiner pointed to as valid considerations in agriculture.
          The Stella*Natura Calendar is a good place to look for an example of this
          discipline.. each day aligns with a different aspect of nature.. Maria Thun
          was a German Biodynamic farmer and discovered that when the moon passes in
          front of a constellation bearing the qualities of a certain element, then
          the corresponding plant aspect was enhanced. For example: the earth element
          enhanced root growth, water for leaf, air for flowers and fire for fruit.
          This would be particularly relevant when planting seeds of each plant type
          (carrots, parsnips, for root correspondences, etc).

          It should be noted that Stella Natura's authors state in no uncertain terms
          that, "Attending to the lunar rhythms should refine and enhance one's
          practices, never paralyze or unduly postpone one's work by waiting for only
          the most perfect time."

          I think that can be applied to most alternative techniques, as we must first
          of all grow ourselves some food and go about our business in life. If we
          can find something which helps us do that, then that's wonderful.

          Peace,

          Steve.

          --

          "Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower
          scatter them in forest and meadow."

          ~from -The Prophet-
          by Kahlil Gibran