Re: Comfrey (from "Chicken Feed")

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2009
      Well said, Michael.
      In fact I would go as far as to say no single species of fodder crop should
      be fed exclusively to a domestic flock - since that situation would never
      occur in nature.

      Comfrey - Symphytum officinalis - comes under a lot of fire for its
      alkaloids. Human use has also been discouraged for this reason. I would
      hold firm on the point that if you are consuming a balanced (diverse) diet
      you won't have trouble with some young comfrey leaves steamed in your salad
      or tossed in your juicer. Lots of everyday plants are dangerous in large
      quantities.
      Clearly the species holds powerful nutritive and regenerative benefits,
      taken both internally and in preparations like poultices and salves.

      As an aside, I have it under good authority that most of the comfrey being
      SOLD in the west recently was a sterile clone called the "Bocking cultivar"
      - apparently from Russia. True comfrey produces nice fat shiny black seeds
      - and seedlings, of course, whereas the Bocking produces only offshoots from
      the root crown.

      Anyhow, Happy poultry raising; I'm starting a flock soon, as well.

      Peace,

      Steve.