Re: [pfaf] chicken feed

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2009
      I feed my chickens greens daily, to the point that when they see me coming
      they run to me. Also they hardly eat anything else. All weeds that you pull,
      they will eat. Including algae from ponds and lakes. Grass is a major food
      that is great for them.

      Theresa

      On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM, jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@...>wrote:

      > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/grains/leaves for chicken
      > feed that can be grown in and around the garden?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jennifer
      > Meaford, Canada

    • sam
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25, 2009
        Hi all

        I am growing some Siberian peashrubs for the chickens this year
        http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/211/moreinfo/d/caragana+arborescens/pid/31509571

        I also have a pond specifically to grow duckweed for the chickens
        http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/nutritional-composition.htm

        And Fly traps! not exactly growing stuff, but food for free...
        http://tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/Footsteps+31-40/Footsteps+36/A+useful+fly+trap.htm

        2p

         Sam

        Internet Explorer (IE) is buggy and insecure.... Happily, there is an

        awesome alternative: http://getfirefox.com/... far superior to IE

        There is also a fantastic and free replacement for word: http://www.openoffice.org

        Message 3 of 14 , May 25, 2009
          purslane is also good for chickens to eat .... it raises omega-3s content in their eggs.
          Gail

          Just plain grass is very good for chickens , allowed to truly free

          range chickens will consume 30% of there daily intake of calories

          from grass . and they also need animal protein which they get from

          worms and bugs . Another great source of protien is fish meal .

          Chickens fed such a diet will live and lay eggs for many years

          John

          On 5/22/09, jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/ grains/leaves for chicken

          > feed that can be grown in and around the garden?

          > Thanks.

          > Jennifer

          > Meaford, Canada

        • gail raby
          Message 4 of 14 , May 25, 2009
            Hi Jennifer,

            I live in suburbia, I don't have chickens. But both my grandparents
            had them and I have many fond memories of playing with chickens
            when I was a youngster.

            I know I have thrown out corn to them and they were loose in the
            chicken yard. But your question made me curious. What plants
            do chickens eat. So I posted the question on a gardening/farming
            listserv.

            Here is the answers that came back:

            " I think a better question is which plants do chickens NOT like to eat.
            They eat all kinds of things--love herbs and veggies, and weeds and
            grass
            and those delicious tender perennials that you don't want them to eat.
            My
            chickens accidentally got into my garden the other day and half of my
            sweet
            peas were gone in about 30 minutes. I give them all my weedings and
            they
            eat every bit of them every day. The only thing I haven't seen them
            eat is
            my rhodies, which they will happily nap in or take a dust bath under.
            Oh,
            and they are smart enough not to eat the rhubarb too"

            and

            "I would add that it depends a bit on chicken type and what they are
            fed when
            they are young. We have both bantam hens (small, feisty girls that are a
            small version of a standard breed.don't know which one..they came from a
            neighbor who got them from a neighbor etc.) and large egg layers (Rhode
            Island reds, Americaunas, Barred Rocks). The bantams seem to prefer
            bugs and
            seeds. The big girls get weed scraps, garden trimmings, spoiled fruit
            and
            anything they can catch in their paddocks (bugs, smaller birds, lizards,
            mice, centipedes!). The bantams are not so much into veggies and can
            wander
            through the veg garden without damaging things except by their
            digging ... Also we plant an Omega-3 mix (from Peaceful Valley)
            in the egg layers paddock"

          • Michael Porter
            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2009
              in your area you could grow carrot and Mangle, with good yeild, and storage qualities, -I have also fed Cabbage,J- Artichoke,  and  [Potatoes in limited quantities]

              On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM, jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@ yahoo.com>wrote:

              > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/ grains/leaves for chicken
              > feed that can be grown in and around the garden?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Jennifer
              > Meaford, Canada

            • Griselda Mussett
              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2009
                Chickens are pretty good at eating all their greens, and seem to
                avoid stuff which is bad for them.
                I kept two bantams in a small walled garden in a wired run to keep
                them off my tiny herb and salad beds.
                They enjoyed a wide variety of greens every day which I gave them.
                These were all things which I would eat myself, plus grass by the
                handful, and - if they escaped! - they enthusiastically ate herbs,
                flowering plants, veggie leaves etc.
                I also gave them grains from a local seed merchant - it was hard to
                find organic mixes so I gave them wheat, barley, sweetcorn, spelt,
                etc which I could get (at quite a cost, it has to be said).
                They also had household scraps - bread, pastry, meat scraps, etc
                which they really liked.
                They also needed very small grit and stones for their crops, and
                presumably also to help them form their own egg shells.
                Some plants which I knew to be poisonous I did not give them,
                including rhubarb or potato leaves, but otherwise most things were fine.
                I did not have a rooster as we live in a close residential area and
                neighbours do not appreciate the cock-crow early in the morning-
                however people seemed happy with the cluckings and murmurings from
                the chickens.
                I had to give up keeping them eventually when rats invaded the garden
                from the huge old drain network below the ground...it was impossible
                to keep these vermin out so I gave my girls away, very reluctantly.
                They are doing fine free-range in a garden nearby which does not have
                rat-infested drains beneath it.
                There they eat what they want and get a handful of corn or other
                grain every day. They are about 7 years old now.

                Griselda

                On 26 May 2009, at 11:59, Michael Porter wrote:

                > > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/ grains/leaves for
                > chicken
                > > feed that can be grown in and around the garden?
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Jennifer
                > > Meaford, Canada

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 14 , May 26, 2009
                  Hello there,

                  I noticed nobody said "comfrey" yet - not that you have to have it, or that
                  it's the absolutely best thing, but it's a perennial, and a medicinal plant,
                  and it sequesters nutrients other plants do not (due to its tap root).
                  Clovers and alfalfa are good too, along with many other leguminous shrubs
                  and trees.

                  Peace,

                  Steve.

                  --

                  "Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower
                  scatter them in forest and meadow."

                  ~from -The Prophet-
                  by Kahlil Gibran

                • Michael Porter
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                    Comfrey is a wonderful Chicken food, -as long as no more than %50 of the diet , --works well for rabbits also

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                      what happens if it is over 50%?

                      From: Steve <_permalove@..._ (mailto:permalove@...) >
                      To: _pfaf@..._ (mailto:pfaf@yahoogroups.com)
                      Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 4:19 PM

                      Hello there,

                      I noticed nobody said "comfrey" yet - not that you have to have it, or that
                      it's the absolutely best thing, but it's a perennial, and a medicinal
                      plant,
                      and it sequesters nutrients other plants do not (due to its tap root).
                      Clovers and alfalfa are good too, along with many other leguminous shrubs
                      and trees.

                      Peace,

                      Steve.

                      --

                      "Would that I could gather your houses into my hand, and like a sower
                      scatter them in forest and meadow."

                      ~from -The Prophet-
                      by Kahlil Gibran

                      **************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter - Simple Meal Ideas for Your
                      Family. Sign Up Now!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221991367x1201443283/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225819%3B37274678%3Bs%
                      3Fhttp:%2F%2Frecipes.dinnermadeeasy.com%2F%3FESRC%3D622)

                    • Michael Porter
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                        if comfrey is fed too much it can cause liver damage [in Rabbits] and some studies say in chickens also, --but the damage occured at feed rates of 75%, --I have fed it to Chickens exclusivly, but they were free range in the afternoons, --so I assume they did not have trouble because they ate plenty of other things as well, -  when feeding Rabbits, they showed liver spots, when fed mostly comfrey, so I suport the study I read about. I noticed no health problems when feeding only 50% comfrey,[ and 50% mix of corn and Alfalfa] they grew well and tasted good also, The Does had no problem raising litters on that feed ration, --Michael

                        --- On Tue, 5/26/09, Steve <_permalove@gmail. per_

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 28, 2009
                          The Siberian pea shrub has small peas that are edible for humans but
                          most people find it to troublesome to peel so leave it to their chickens.
                          It is also a nitrogen fixer so more than one benefit! And chickens can
                          roast in the branches, out of range of the fox.

                          I have some seedlings on the go, so will report back in 5 years time, grin.

                          Ludwig

                          jenniferpittet wrote:
                          > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/grains/leaves for chicken feed that can be grown in and around the garden?
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Jennifer
                          > Meaford, Canada

                        • Griselda Mussett
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 31, 2009
                            Dear Ludwig
                            I am startled by the idea of chickens 'roasting' in the branches.
                            Usually they ROOST....
                            This is not a criticism, it just made me laugh.
                            My ability to write in any other language is pretty limited and I am
                            very impressed by how fluent everyone is on this forum.
                            cheers
                            Griselda

                            On 28 May 2009, at 12:29, Ludd wrote:

                            > The Siberian pea shrub has small peas that are edible for humans but
                            > most people find it to troublesome to peel so leave it to their
                            > chickens.
                            > It is also a nitrogen fixer so more than one benefit! And chickens can
                            > roast in the branches, out of range of the fox.
                            >
                            > I have some seedlings on the go, so will report back in 5 years
                            > time, grin.
                            >
                            > Ludwig
                            >
                            > jenniferpittet wrote:
                            > > Does anyone have ideas about good plants/seeds/grains/leaves for
                            > chicken feed that can be grown in and around the garden?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >
                            > > Jennifer
                            > > Meaford, Canada

                            The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                            that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                            By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
                            2003
                            Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
                            The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                            peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                            tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
                            (no gluten).
                            and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
                            Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                            Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
                            Check it out www.takejuiceplus.co.uk