Re: [pfaf] Cow's parsnip

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2009
      There is a small, narrow focus blow torch for jewelers, tiny, well,
      real small. This could be used directly on the weed, with a fire
      extinguisher in the other hand in case something went wrong.

      In a message dated 5/5/2009 2:39:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      gardenchick1949@... writes:

      You could:
      1) mow or cut it down & put black plastic over it for a couple of weeks
      (hold down edges of plastic with heavy rocks)
      2) mow or cut it down & put newspaper or cardboard, then an organic mulch
      or compost over it.
      3) you could pour boiling water over it.
      4) you can use a flame. Per hgtv.com "You connect the supplied hose to a
      standard propane tank, then pass the flame (at a temperature of 2000
      degrees Fahrenheit) briefly over a weed. Almost immediately the weed will begin
      to turn dark green and show signs of wilting. Within a day or two, the weed
      will be gone forever. Of course, you wouldn’t want to use this in the
      midst of a drought or anywhere near flammable materials, but under safe
      conditions it can be a real timesaver."
      Gail

      --- On Tue, 5/5/09, fastone123 <_jbwoods2@..._

      From: fastone123 <_jbwoods2@..._ (mailto:jbwoods2@...) >
      Subject: [pfaf] Cow's parsnip
      To: _pfaf@..._ (mailto:pfaf@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 1:06 PM

      Could someone please tell me a way to get rid of this very invasive plant
      . I made a mistake a few years ago and transplanted a plant in my flower
      garden and now the sucker is everywhere and I am having trouble killing it ,
      Is agricultural vinegar considered to be organic ,I am using it and having
      some success but it is very expensive could some one please help John

      steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x
      1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
      =May5509AvgfooterNO115)

    • john barratt
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2009
        Hi Gail thank you for your advice now about the flame ,will that
        kill the root or just the leaves , the roots of these plants are
        quite big and go very deep and I can not see a flame on the leaves
        doing much harm to the roots . Have you tried this before ?
        Together as one in the garden John

      • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2009
          The best way to control this short lived weed is to prevent it flowering - setting seeds, it does not spread by off-sets (although it might regrow from the roots if not cut short enough).
          Seeds of Heracleum sphondylium/Heracleum maximum will wait in your flower bed for up to 7 years (until they are brought to light, a necessity for germination). If you are using no-dig garden methods you will not get new seedlings.
          If you are using heat to eradicate this species, you need to heat the soil to a depth of at least 4 inches, the temperature only needs to be about 140°F. Seeds are not often found far from the parent plants, most seedlings are found within 2 or 3 yards (diameter 18 feet).
          Heracleum sphondylium makes heaps of useful bio-mass and is easily prevented from seeding by cutting the plant, or even just the flowering spike, before it flowers - this is the time to eat the leaves and flower buds (the young stem shoots are best eaten early, before they become fibrous).
          http://herbalistpath.blogspot.com/2007/05/cow-parsnip.html

          Common sense weed control information from a commercial site:
          http://www.lazydogtools.co.uk/lazydogtools/research_report_to_defra.html

          Could someone please tell me a way to get rid of this very invasive plant
          .. I made a mistake a few years ago and transplanted a plant in my flower
          garden and now the sucker is everywhere and I am having trouble killing it ,
          Is agricultural vinegar considered to be organic ,I am using it and having
          some success but it is very expensive could some one please help John

          steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x
          1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
          =May5509AvgfooterNO115)

          Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          To change settings via email:
          mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2009
            Hi John,

            Are you sure it is Cow Parsnip ?
            http://images.google.com/images?q="Heracleum%20sphondylium"

            Matt

            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2009
              Hi Matt I think it is cow's parsnip but from what you write now I am
              not sure for the plants I have do spread from the roots and the
              seeds seem to start a long way from their source I have tried
              cutting the flowers off one year and it did not seem to make a
              differance for the plant is a perenial and comes back year after
              year and spreads and it is taking over my gardens They grow to
              10feet tall and look like something from another world we call them
              alien plants .Help I have been invaded John

              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                Hehehe, ok - don't try to eat it to extinction until you are sure of it's identity !

                Here is a neat brochure from Michigan department of Agriculture:
                http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_Hogweed_Brochure_2_115074_7.pdf

                Mainly about Giant Hogweed, but it compares it to 3 other Genera of Hogweed-like plants in enough detail to be able to easily distinguish them. And has useful information about the Photosensitivity/toxicity problem.

                Matt

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                  HI Matt thank you I now know what it is Giant Hogweed Now I can
                  find out the best way to get rid of it John