Ground Nut: apios americana

  • ledahorticulture
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2009
      Has anyone grown this? I have ordered a couple from http://www.maryrowlandson.com/warrensgroundnutstore.html
      and am going to grow them in half-barrels. I'm on the West Coast, near Mt. Shasta in Zone 7 a/b.

      Beki
    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2009
        Yes, I tried 4 individuums in a rather quitchy bed, in zone 7b in a
        rather sandy soil and a windy, open situation.
        climate:
        http://www.medienwerkstatt-online.de/lws_wissen/vorlagen/showcard.php?id=1926&edit=0
        I got them from ruehlemanns.de
        Why they all died out over their first 2 years...I don´t know. What pH
        e.g. do they prefer?
        greets from Klaus

        Zitat von ledahorticulture <ledahorticulture@...>:

        > Has anyone grown this? I have ordered a couple from
        > http://www.maryrowlandson.com/warrensgroundnutstore.html
        > and am going to grow them in half-barrels. I'm on the West Coast,
        > near Mt. Shasta in Zone 7 a/b.
        >
        > Beki

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
        Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
      • john barratt
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2009
          I have planted some on the south side of a stand of 20 ft. pine trees
          under the first row so they will not be in full sun . The soil is
          fairly sandy and I mixed in a good amount of well rotted cow manure .
          First time,so I will have to see how they grow .
          Wish me luck . If anybody has any advice please tell me . I am
          located in Southern Ontario In Canada