Re: Northern Pecans

  • chex.rice
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2009
      Fern,
      The Ontario Nut Growers are growing pecans from where I live. Their page on Pecans at: http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/northernpecan.htm
      Says:

      **************************************
      Northern Pecan

      The northern pecan and the southern pecan are very different from each other in hardiness, nut size, and length of season required to ripen. The northern pecans suited to the growing conditions in Ontario are from the northern tip of the growing range of the pecan. A distribution map of the native range covers much of the Mississippi Valley, with a finger of distribution extending northward along the Mississippi River into Iowa. It is in this area where the hardiest short season pecans are found. Though all of the pecans from this region are hardy in Ontario, it is the earliest ripening selections from here that get enough heat units to ripen in Ontario (zone 6).
      These pecans are small, about the size of a native shagbark hickory or large hazelnut, but they have the fine flavor for which pecan is known. Selections that were the earliest to ripen, have been brought back in the 1980's from Green Island, Iowa by John Gordon, a nut tree explorer and SONG member. These selections from the wild have become the selection base for promising new trees.

      A few of the earliest ripening trees are propagated as grafted trees. These named selections are: Snaps, Carlson 3, Lucas and Cornfield. They have so far proved to be perfectly hardy and productive. They need a warm September-October season to properly fill the nuts.

      Pecan trees planted from seed tend to take about 10 to 15 years to begin to bear, while grafted trees will bear in 5 to 10 years. As with most of the nut trees, the hickories and pecans will take two or more trees to set nuts.

      Notice that they are growing seeds that were also collected in Iowa? Green Island is about 60 miles north of where I live and I have also collected pecan seeds at Green Island. By the way, Gary Fernald who has the seeds is the president of the Iowa Nut Growers Assosciation and is probably the world expert on the Far Northern Pecan and is the one that took John Gordon on the expidition to Green Island to collect the seeds.

      The pecans that I collected at green Island are much smaller than the ones that Gary Fernald has and they are from the same environment. Gary has been working on the most superior Far Northern Pecan for 40 years. I think that his expertise might benefit you . . . it also gets 20 degrees colder in the region (zone 4) of Iowa we are talking about than it does in the zone 6 part of Ontario where the Ontario Nut Growers say that they are operating . . . North does not always mean colder. On any day in January the odds are that Anchorage, Alaska is warmer than Northern Iowa. Anchorage is zone 5 and Northern Iowa is zone 4 and that makes Iowa 10 degrees farenhiet colder. I've won a lot of bets by saying "its colder here than Anchorage, Alaska" and being able to prove it.

      Chris