Re: [pfaf] Identification

  • Peter Ellis
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25 10:41 AM
      The message <4d7faa5f0904231509o136b220euaa81bee11d3428d1@...>
      from Geir_Flatab� <geirf@...> contains these words:

      > Hi
      > from an Iranian refugee, from Bhagdad I got some edible dried fruits ,
      > round drupes, two sizes.
      > The Smallest in dried state, brownish, wrincled , spheric approx 15mm diam,
      > externally looking like adried mini apple, with indented flower site in one
      > end (but no sepals left) and a 4 mm long < 4 mm long fruit stalk hanging
      > with it. Taste souerish sweet else no typical taste or scent, not complete
      > dry. Pit spheric, 10mm diam yellowish white when dried- not unlike a black
      > walnut (brain like folding and two parts) in its wrincles, very hard /
      > tough.

      > The larger fruits looks very much the same, as the smaller only a bit
      > oblong, approx 25 mm, and the pit inside less wrincled, and oblong 15 x 8
      > mm large. Approx same length of fruit stalk.
      > HAve not cracked any of the pits to see what is in them yet...

      > Anyone have any idea what they could be,'
      > Dont knoe anything of the plant , height nor leaf shape or flower shape...
      > made a bad quality photo of the fruits and pits...

      > Geir Flatab�

      Iranian or Iraqi ?

      Could be dates?

      Cheers

      Peter
    • Aniruddha Sen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 12:53 PM
        Dear Peter can you please provide us with any pictures of the fruits?
        Aniruddha Sen

        > from an  Iranian refugee, from Bhagdad I got some edible dried fruits ,
        > round drupes, two sizes.
        > The Smallest in dried state, brownish, wrincled , spheric approx 15mm diam,
        > externally looking like adried mini apple, with indented flower site in one
        > end (but no sepals left) and a 4 mm long < 4 mm long fruit stalk hanging
        > with it. Taste souerish sweet else no typical taste or scent, not complete
        > dry.  Pit spheric, 10mm diam yellowish white when dried- not unlike a black
        > walnut (brain like folding and two parts)  in its wrincles, very hard /
        > tough.

        > The larger fruits  looks very much the same, as the smaller only a bit
        > oblong, approx 25 mm,  and the pit inside less wrincled,  and oblong 15 x 8
        > mm large. Approx same length of fruit stalk.
        > HAve not cracked any of the pits to see what is in them yet...

        > Anyone have any idea what they could be,'
        > Dont knoe anything of the plant , height nor leaf shape or flower shape....
        > made a bad quality photo of the fruits and pits...

        > Geir Flatabø

        Iranian or Iraqi ?

        Could be dates?

        Cheers

        Peter

        From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/citygroups/

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 1:41 PM
          Iraq - Bagdad,
          could be dates except for the fruit stalk, and the globose pit looking like
          two brain halves,
          and the taste and texture etc....

          Geir Flatabø