Re: [pfaf] Re: Black locust and honey locust

  • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2009
      Nitrogen fixing and possible protonodules in Gleditsia:
      http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=p1np211383437122&size=largest

      Gleditsia triacanthos does accumulate substantial nitrogen, but does not nodulate - foliage, seeds and fruit are considered a good source of nitrogen for foraging animals. The species is also known for shedding limbs (like many Leguminous trees), has large seed pods and is deciduous - so probably a nitrogen rich litter is also produced.

      Matt