Re:Hardiness (Re: Pecan Seeds)

  • J H
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 16 9:44 AM
      Hi,
      The most winter-hardy Pecan cultivar seems to be "Nothern Pecan". I came across it on the internet. It seems to be grown northwards up to Ontario, eventually even commercially. I was interested in gettings some seeds, seedlings or small trees in Europe myself. So far, I haven't come across a source. Nothern Pecan is mentioned on an internet site from the U.S.A. However, I didn't get a reply to my request at the email address given on that site.

      Regards,

      J.

    • chex.rice
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 18 3:56 PM
        J, they are just calling some seeds "northern Pecan" it is not really a variety. The seeds I was talking about in the original post are from the farthest northern reaches of its native range. Gary Fernald is probably the top expert on the Pecan in its coldest and shortest season form. Pecans are not native to ontario and the seeds for what they grow probably came from Gary Fernald. You will notice that even though all of Ontario is much farther north than any part of Iowa and that southern Ontario has zone 6b and Iowa is entirely zone 4b and 5a, 20 degrees F colder. The Great Lakes moderate southern Ontario's temperature. Contact Gary Fernald and ask him any question about cold hardy pecans. He is the expert and has the seeds.

        Gary Fernald's email: garyfernald@...

        Chris
        zone 5a, Illinois, USA

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, J H <joachim_hl@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > The most winter-hardy Pecan cultivar seems to be "Nothern Pecan". I came across it on the internet. It seems to be grown northwards up to Ontario, eventually even commercially. I was interested in gettings some seeds, seedlings or small trees in Europe myself. So far, I haven't come across a source. Nothern Pecan is mentioned on an internet site from the U.S.A. However, I didn't get a reply to my request at the email address given on that site.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > J.

      • Sara Elbrai
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 18 4:51 PM
          Are you planting any American chestnuts?

          Sara

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 18 4:56 PM
            The hardiness scale doesn't work well in the US either if one tries to use if for assessing anything other than hardiness. Unfortunately many people think that growing conditions in, for example, all zone 8 regions are the same, whereas the only thing that is necessarily the same is the winter minimum. There are many other relevant factors.

            Sara

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 19 1:31 AM
              Coastal Norway may have winters without freezing temperatures,
              while Inland Istria migt have teperatures well below zero.
              Summer temperatures and length of vegetation period will never get as high
              in Norway, although at sea level facing south with a steep mountain behind
              there is no problem growing Wind mill Palm , (Trachycarpus) or figs now also
              hardy olives... and other mediterranean plants...

              Geir Flatabo

              2009/4/19 Sara Elbrai <selbrai@...>

              > The hardiness scale doesn't work well in the US either if one tries to use
              > if for assessing anything other than hardiness. Unfortunately many people
              > think that growing conditions in, for example, all zone 8 regions are the
              > same, whereas the only thing that is necessarily the same is the winter
              > minimum. There are many other relevant factors.
              >
              > Sara

              > > Subject: [pfaf] Hardiness (Re: Pecan Seeds)
              > > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              > > Date: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 6:31 AM
              > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com,
              > > Peter Ellis <peter.ellis@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The message
              > > <f29ef4600904151501u7df1148awa5c145d7803a215a@...>
              > > > from Chex <chex.rice@...> contains these words:

              > > > Ooh goody ! I thought. Very useful, until I realised
              > > that it claimed
              > > > that where I live in Istria has the same temperature
              > > range as Norway !
              > > > Something seriously wrong there!
              > >
              > > If you look at the scale it is the minimum temperature over
              > > the year. I would say that these figures look about right to
              > > me, it rarely gets below -12 degrees C in the UK. You can
              > > get some very cold nights around the Mediterranean so by
              > > this scale they end up being in the same zone.
              > >
              > > I think the problem is the concept of the Hardiness scale
              > > which works well in the US does not translate well to the
              > > Europe. There are a lot of factors which affect how well a
              > > plant will survive, not just the minimum temprature and
              > > these are more significant in Europe. In particular the gulf
              > > stream brings both warmth and moisture to the UK.

              > > mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • ryborgryborg268
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20 11:11 AM
                Thanks 4 notice of this offer
                chris. This year I got a pound in
                weight of northern pecan type
                nuts from Grimo Nuts (see
                'database' and links on this lists
                website). They were $10.
                Northern type pecans r smaller
                than regular cultivars. I've
                planted both sorts on the Isle of
                Anglesey, UK. These r
                'seedling' trees rather than
                grafted cultivars which r not
                available in the UK at this time.
                They mite or mite not b better
                than the mother tree. The pecan
                seed offered by Andrew wood
                have 2b pretty special 4 $10 for
                20! ...jack and the beanstalk!
                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com,
                matthew@... wrote:

                > Cold hardiness is calculated
                as the *average minimum
                winter temperature*, there is no
                range included in the zone (
                awkward as exceptional years
                can give exceptional freezes or
                mildness )

                > "micro-climates" are usually
                too small to be shown on
                climate maps, so some local
                wisdom is necessary in
                interpreting even the simple
                information shown.

                > Matt

                Seeds

                > The message
                > from Chex contains these
                words:

                > > Europe hardiness map for
                comparison:
                > > http://
                www.gardenweb.com/zones/
                europe/

                > Ooh goody ! I thought. Very
                useful, until I realised that it
                claimed
                > that where I live in Istria has
                the same temperature range as
                Norway !
                > Something seriously wrong
                there!

                > Cheers
                >
                > Peter

                group/pfaf/

                > Your email settings:
                > Individual Email |
                Traditional

                > To change settings online go
                to:
                group/pfaf/join

                @yahoogroups.com
                @yahoogroups.com

                > To unsubscribe from this
                group, send an email to:
                @yahoogroups.com

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                subject to:
                > http://docs.yahoo.com/
                info/terms/

                > [Non-text portions of this
                message have been removed]

              • chex.rice
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26 10:48 AM
                  Sara, in America Chestnuts have all but been wiped out by the Chestnut Blight. Sad to say, it would not be a good idea to plant American Chestnuts in America because a tree would have very little chance of making it to maturity.

                  If ya have a short growing season or harsh winters, I really recommend getting ahold of Gary Fernald at garyfernald@... about getting some of these seeds.

                  Chris
                  zone 5a, IL, USA

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Sara Elbrai <selbrai@...> wrote:

                  > Are you planting any American chestnuts?
                  >
                  > Sara

                • mIEKAL aND
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 27 12:29 PM
                    This is why people plant hybrid chestnuts. A lot of folks in my area
                    growing them in southwest WI & of course Badgersett Farms has been
                    working on breeding them for nigh on 30 years. I've been getting good
                    production from about 5 trees for a few years now. A neighbor has
                    thousands planted.

                    ~mIEKAL

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28 7:39 AM
                      mIEKAL,
                      I am going to get around to getting some of the Hazelnut plants that Badgersett Research Farms has been working on one of these days. The natives are so small and the european filbert gets the Eastern Hazel Blight.

                      peace

                      Chris
                      zone 5a, IL, USA