[Fwd: COMMENT Ground cover plants.]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      NAMBANGI OKOLLE JUSTIN (okollejustin@...) added the comment:

      INFACT YOUR WEBSITE GIVES AN EXAUSTIVE DETAIL OF GROUND COVER PLANTS. I
      AM A RESEARCHER WORKING ON BANANA AGROECOSYSTEMS WHERE THE BORER WEEVIL
      IS AN IMPORTANT INSECT PEST.. THIS PEST IS HYDROPHILIC AND RESEARCHERS
      ARE RECOMMENDING LIVING MULCH AS A CONTROL MEASURE. CAN THIS BE
      POSSIBLE? IF SO WHAT SUITABLE GROUNDCOVER PLANTS CAN BE RECOMMENDED FOR
      RESEARCH TRIALS?

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2004
        Dale (dalep6@...) added the comment:

        I'm on Siesta Key off the coast of Sarasota, Florida and it's hot, humid
        even at night so that's why Here is my situation. I am in Sarasota,
        Florida zone 9b...hot and humid and the killer is hot nights for 6
        months out of the year. Coldest it gets is 30 rarely and 35-40 a few
        times a winter. I have a path made out of 3" thick and 24' square
        concrete blocks with 3" holes. They were made to be filled with gravel
        or grass in parking lots to minimize the amount of asphalt used. I had
        planned on planting groundcover in the holes. I tried Laurentia and it
        did fine for a while. But then died out. This path is under a very
        large oak with a well trimmed canopy on the NW side of my house. It
        gets bright filtered light for part of the day. Do you know of anything
        that would be happy in this situation? I think the Laurentia couldn't
        spread and that's what did it in. Sure hope you have some ideas.

        I also want a groundcover to grow under many Alocasia/Colocasias where
        they will definitely be in shade from these "elephant ears."

        Thanks so much for "listening." I really want to find something for the
        path!
        Dale Six
        Sarasota, Floridaso many plants fail here.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2004
          Any clues?