Re:Grain amaranth ---- Amaranthus hypochondriacus

  • Mat Coward
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
      I too grew grain amaranth in the UK last year - and was very pleased with it. I'll definitely do it again this year. Very attractive and interesting plants, and in an awful year of weather, a decent crop at the end. Fair bit of work in getting the grain, but not difficult. Once it's thoroughly dried, I just kept it in a jar in the kitchen, and every time I was cooking rice, I just threw in a handful and cooked it along with the rice. Really worth a try.
      - Mat
      www.matcoward.com

    • Sara Elbrai
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
        Of course it's a grain. A plant can be an herb and produce a grain.

        Sara

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
          There are many edible Amaranthus species, some are much better known as leaf vegetables and have seeds that are not usually eaten, some contain gluten in the edible seeds, other's seeds are gluten free.
          Amaranthus is one of the great underused genera, some species can produce a lot of leaf quickly and huge amounts of seed not long after.

          Matt

          Of course it's a grain. A plant can be an herb and produce a grain.

          Sara

          > high protein, high fiber, nutrient rich seed.� It has a
          > high concentration of lysine and a sticky texture.� It is
          > actually an herb (not a grain).�
          > ���� Boil 1 c grains in 2-1/2 c broth or water, for
          > 20-25 minutes, to make 2-1/2 cups cooked "grain" for a
          > sidedish.� If overcooked, you can add dried fruit, nuts,
          > and a sweetener and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes -
          > to make a cake-like dessert.�
          > ���� For more recipes, go to google.com and type in
          > "amaranth recipes".
          > Gail
          >

          > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, jenniferpittet
          > wrote:
          >

          > From: jenniferpittet
          > Subject: [pfaf] Re: Grain amaranth ---- Amaranthus
          > hypochondriacus
          > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 3:30 PM
          >

          > Hi Luc,
          >
          > How do you use the grains....do you just boil them up and
          > eat them like millet or something? I've heard the grains are
          > very very small. Is it labour intensive to process them?
          >
          > I've heard they should grow here...they were actually
          > recommended to me as a perennial vegetable.
          >
          > Jennifer
          >
          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, luc vleeracker
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I am , �but in Mexico....very fast growing from seed
          > , leaves are also edible..may work in your summertime..
          > > �
          > > Luc
          > >
          > > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, jenniferpittet
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > From: jenniferpittet
          > > Subject: [pfaf] Grain amaranth ---- Amaranthus
          > hypochondriacus
          > > To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
          > > Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
          > >

          > > Has anybody had experience growing grain amaranth
          > > (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) ? Is it useful as a food
          > grain? I'd like to give it a try in Central Ontario. Below
          > is the information from Richter's Seed catalogue.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Jennifer
          > >

          > > Ancient Aztec food grain. Protein content is higher
          > than that of wheat, rice, and corn. High in the essential
          > amino acid, lysine, which is generally low in other grains.
          > Delicious cooked as a hot cereal or popped like popcorn. Can
          > be milled into flour. Its vibrant burgundy colour is ideal
          > for edible landscaping

          > � � �

          > � � mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          To change settings via email:
          mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Gail Lloyd
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
            Technically, a grain is from grass plants & seeds are from herbal plants (sources below), but scientists and botanists can and do change their minds a lot (e.g., scientific "theories", and the often renaming of botanical names and plant families).  Having said that, it really doesn't matter... just trivial info and the important thing is that they're good to eat.
            Gail
            seed (sēd)
            1. the mature ovule of a flowering plant.
            grain (gr n)
            n.
            1. A small, dry, one-seeded fruit of a cereal grass, having the fruit and the seed walls united.

            http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/seed+grain
            Amaranthus, collectively known as amaranth or pigweed, is a cosmopolitan genus of herbs.
            Amaranth seeds are tan or light brown in color and are about the size of poppy seeds. Not a true cereal grain, Amaranth is sometimes called a ‘pseudo-grain’ and has been referred to as a herb or even a vegetable.
            http://waltonfeed.com/old/self/amaranth.html

            Of course it's a grain. A plant can be an herb and produce a grain.

            Sara

            > high protein, high fiber, nutrient rich seed.  It has a
            > high concentration of lysine and a sticky texture.  It is
            > actually an herb (not a grain).
            >      Boil 1 c grains in 2-1/2 c broth or water, for
            > 20-25 minutes, to make 2-1/2 cups cooked "grain" for a
            > sidedish.  If overcooked, you can add dried fruit, nuts,
            > and a sweetener and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes -
            > to make a cake-like dessert.
            >      For more recipes, go to google.com and type in
            > "amaranth recipes".
            > Gail
            >

            > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@ yahoo.com>
            > wrote:
            >

            > From: jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@ yahoo.com>
            > Subject: [pfaf] Re: Grain amaranth ---- Amaranthus
            > hypochondriacus
            > To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
            > Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 3:30 PM
            >

            > Hi Luc,
            >
            > How do you use the grains....do you just boil them up and
            > eat them like millet or something? I've heard the grains are
            > very very small. Is it labour intensive to process them?
            >
            > I've heard they should grow here...they were actually
            > recommended to me as a perennial vegetable.
            >
            > Jennifer
            >
            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, luc vleeracker
            > <lucvleeracker@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am ,  but in Mexico....very fast growing from seed
            > , leaves are also edible..may work in your summertime..
            > >
            > > Luc
            > >
            > > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, jenniferpittet
            > <jenniferpittet@ ...> wrote:
            > >

            > > From: jenniferpittet <jenniferpittet@ ...>
            > > Subject: [pfaf] Grain amaranth ---- Amaranthus
            > hypochondriacus
            > > To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
            > > Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
            > >

            > > Has anybody had experience growing grain amaranth
            > > (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) ? Is it useful as a food
            > grain? I'd like to give it a try in Central Ontario. Below
            > is the information from Richter's Seed catalogue.
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help.
            > >
            > > Jennifer
            > >

            > > Ancient Aztec food grain. Protein content is higher
            > than that of wheat, rice, and corn. High in the essential
            > amino acid, lysine, which is generally low in other grains.
            > Delicious cooked as a hot cereal or popped like popcorn. Can
            > be milled into flour. Its vibrant burgundy colour is ideal
            > for edible landscaping

            >     mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

          • Carles Esquerda
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 24, 2009
              Hi Griselda,

              As far as I know, seeds need some light to germinate, so do not bury them much. Moisture is also needed until they germinate. But I have read that germinating power is quickly lost after seeds mature in the fruit.

              We multiply Stevia by cuttings, it is faster.

              Regards,

              Carles Esquerda
              Lleida, Spain

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 24, 2009
                Viable Stevia seeds are black, unfertilized seed is tan coloured and weighs less.
                The seeds germinate well at a wide range of temperatures, fresh viable seed will germinate in a couple of weeks at 70 to 100% with temperatures from 15°C to 40°C and light, germination is 50 to 60% without light.
                Most viable seeds will germinate in 5 days at 25°C.
                About 7% of tan seed will germinate, with or without light, in the same temperature range.
                Prefers infertile, sandy acid soils, with a high water table.

                Stevia seed starting by Jeffrey Goettemoeller:
                http://prairieoakpublishing.com/index.php?pr=Seed_Starting

                Matt

                As far as I know, seeds need some�light to germinate, so do not bury them much. Moisture is also needed until they germinate. But I have read that germinating power is quickly lost after seeds mature in the fruit.
                �
                We multiply Stevia by cuttings, it is faster.
                �
                Regards,
                �
                Carles Esquerda
                Lleida, Spain

                --- El mar, 31/3/09, Griselda Mussett escribi�:

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 15, 2009
                  If you can find a source for good quality plants, Stevia is usually (and much more easily) propagated from cuttings.

                  Seed viability is usually very low (look for the fatter darker seeds) and germination of viable seed is not always consistent, even with excellent conditions.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 16, 2009
                    Yes you're right, Stevia is more easily propagated by cuttings. Here in inland northern Spain we grow Stevia in greenhouses and propagation is easy from cuttings and also from root suckers. Regarding soil requirements, Stevia does not grow well in clayey or hard soils, it prefers light soils. We are doing trials outdoors to see if they survive winter colds with the help of some type of cover. I guess that in south west England if you are close to the sea temperatures in winter should not be too low for the plant.

                    Cheers,

                    Carles

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 16, 2009
                      Hello,

                      Stevia germination is generally low, but I found a supplier this past year
                      who has turned that around.
                      I ordered 100 stevia seeds from www.seedman.com and my germination was 105%.
                      In my east livingroom window.

                      They have successfully done a great deal of scientific work to improve their
                      germination. There is an explanation on their website. Even though the
                      southern U.S. is a long way to go for seeds in the UK, the germination rate
                      would probably justify the extra shipping costs.

                      They also offer inexpensive books with growing tips and recipes.

                      Laury
                    • Sheila
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 17, 2009
                        puzzled...100 seeds? max germination you could get would be 100% so where did the other 5 come from...even if you got extra seeds and they all germinated you could still only get 100% :-)
                        Sheila

                      • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 17, 2009
                          It must be new math!

                          puzzled...100 seeds? max germination you could get would be 100% so where did the other 5 come from...even if you got extra seeds and they all germinated you could still only get 100% :-)
                          Sheila

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, "Laury Carter" <claury@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > Stevia germination is generally low, but I found a supplier this past year
                          > who has turned that around.
                          > I ordered 100 stevia seeds from www.seedman. com and my germination was 105%.
                          > In my east livingroom window.
                          >
                          > They have successfully done a great deal of scientific work to improve their
                          > germination. There is an explanation on their website. Even though the
                          > southern U.S. is a long way to go for seeds in the UK, the germination rate
                          > would probably justify the extra shipping costs.
                          >
                          > They also offer inexpensive books with growing tips and recipes.
                          >
                          > Laury

                        • Laury Carter
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 18, 2009
                            yes.ha ha
                            they did send extra seeds, I paid for 100 seeds, but did not count the
                            seeds, only the viable plants...
                            would that be called metaphoric math?
                            ;o)
                            Laury
                          • nerdnooky
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 20, 2009
                              Best way to germinate tropicals is by poly bag on top the fridge. This never lets me down. Stevia doesn't need light until germination, but it does need warmth.