Re: [pfaf] What is this fruit?

  • Jacques PRESTREAU
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hi Javier !

      Can you place your pictures in a website and sent us the URL ? (the
      links to the pictures)

      If you can't, send them to me, I'll do it for you in order to let
      everyone examine your pictures.

      My e-mail address is the one above, in the sender field of this mail.

      Best regards,
      Jacques

      *Message Original*
      De : "Javier Cosp" <jcosp@...>
      A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date de l'envoi : 23/03/2009 10:45:04 PM +0100
      Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

      > Friends:
      >
      > Anyone can help to identify this fruit? Is it edible?
      >
      > One picture is the fruit and the other its flower.
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Javier Cosp
      > Asunción, Paraguay

    • Matthew Sleigh
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 27, 2009
        Hi Javier,

        I can't see your photos, maybe because [Non-text portions of this message have been removed].

        Can you put the photos in the pfaf yahoogroups web-page Photos section ?

        All the best,

        Matt

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Javier Cosp" <jcosp@...> wrote:

        > Friends:
        >
        > Anyone can help to identify this fruit? Is it edible?
        >
        > One picture is the fruit and the other its flower.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Javier Cosp
        > Asunci�n, Paraguay

      • luc vleeracker
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 27, 2009
          Javier ,

          You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.

          Luc
          Mexico

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 28, 2009
            Hi all
            As Mathew points out all attachments such as pictures are scrubbed
            from the group post. This is because in the past people have
            attached some very large images which takes up everybodies bandwidth.

            We do have a Photo's section on the group home page
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf/photos. You can upload
            photos there and the refer people to the photo in the post.

            Rich

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Sleigh" <matthew@...> wrote:

            > Hi Javier,
            >
            > I can't see your photos, maybe because [Non-text portions of this message have been removed].
            >
            > Can you put the photos in the pfaf yahoogroups web-page Photos section ?
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Matt
            >
            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Javier Cosp" <jcosp@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Friends:
            > >
            > > Anyone can help to identify this fruit? Is it edible?
            > >
            > > One picture is the fruit and the other its flower.
            > >
            > > Thank you
            > >
            > > Javier Cosp
            > > Asunci�n, Paraguay

          • Jacques PRESTREAU
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 28, 2009
              Hello Luc
              Hello everybody

              The problem is that the Yahoo group PFAF is not set to accept e-mail
              attachments.

              It could be. There is no problem for security in Yahoo Groups.

              Another problem (for all the Yahoo groups) is that it's possible to
              subscribe without creation of a profile, or without reattachment to a
              previously profile.

              Examples :
              when ordering the list of the member we can see all the members who have
              no Yahoo profile :

              And when one has no profile, he can't access to albums nor files in the
              website of the group.

              So for this people, there are only two solutions :

              1rst solution : Create a Yahoo account (it automatically create a Yahoo
              profile). And after that, they have to reattach their new Yahoo profile
              to the groups they are members. It is the best solution but... it is
              very often out of comprehension technically to all the persons that are
              absoluty beotian in the use of a computer.

              2nd solution : Send the photos to a service of photo albums on the web :
              - http://imageshack.us/ (in english)
              - http://www.servimg.com/ (in french)

              Two other solutions are possible :

              Third solution : Create one's own website. Once more it needs to have an
              certain knowledge in computering to do that.

              Fourth solution : Send the pictures to me. I do it on my own website in
              the 24 hours that follow. For those who don't know me, I'm zoologist,
              and I'm also the creator of this french Yahoo Group :
              and with nearly 900 members, like PFAF). And I have three own websites.
              One which is public
              http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jacques.prestreau/tortues/pdf/ and two which
              are private (one of them beeing actually in construction with
              universities about the evolution of life on Earth). So if you trust in
              me and in my solution and don't trust in public picture service
              websites, you can send your pictures to me, telling me its for PFAF
              Group, and I do it for you. Of course not tons of pictures. But
              reazonably and there absolutely any problem.

              But the BEST solution is by the manager of PFAF group, it's to accept
              the use of attachments. Considering that the respect to one's own
              machine and the respect to other people is to have an antivirus, there
              is no problem. Above all if the only attachments tolerated by the
              administrator are pictures and PDF files. Not Word files nor any file
              which may transport scripts. With picture and PDF files in attachments,
              absolutely any problems. And the achives in the Yahoo Group website
              don't maintain pictures nor attachments. So there is no loss of place.
              All the members that receive the messages as mails receive the pictures
              and the PDF files which are attached. If the administrator doesn't
              prefer to change this setting (and I understand) the four solutions
              above are possible.

              Kindly for all
              Jacques
              (in France)

              *Message Original*
              De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@...>
              A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
              Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

              > Javier ,
              >
              > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
              >
              > Luc
              > Mexico

            • Jacques PRESTREAU

                De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@...>
                A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100

              • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 28, 2009

                  The problem is that the Yahoo group PFAF is not set to accept e-mail
                  attachments.
                  <
                  Bonjour Jacques and everyone !

                  It would be wonderful to enable photos on PFAF, but folks with slower connections (still many people in rural France) will understand that it just takes two or three 8mb image files to make mail downloads very difficult, sometimes after half an hour or so the connection breaks and all emails need to be downloaded a second, or 3rd, 4th, 5th time (if using outlook, for example).

                  I have my (online) eMail set to hold images and other attachments, and only download files I specify - this is better security against mal-ware and spam (attachments in spam can return a record of where they are downloaded).

                  Most people have online eMail these days - hotmail, yahoo, gmail, so do not have to view eMail with attachments. Maybe the group could agree to accept photos ?

                  Matt

                • luc vleeracker
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 28, 2009
                    Hi all .

                    I belong to several groups and all accept attachments , you have to keep them under 1mb wich is not a problem , they can be reduced before sending.

                    Luc

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 28, 2009
                      Hello Matt
                      Hello Rich
                      Hello Everyone

                      > folks with slower connections (still many people in rural France)

                      Yes.

                      Very few, nowadays. But, yes, there's still people in some deep rural
                      regions whitout any high speed connection. About 0.5% now in France. Not
                      more. But yes, there are still some like this who in 2009 can't have more.

                      > sometimes after half an hour or so

                      Hmmm... Not so much. But it's true, connections remain long and
                      hazardeous with the last old modem still alive.

                      In fact, with our actual 850 members in my "Tortues" Yahoo group, we
                      have only 2 members who are still in that situation, with though about
                      75% of the members in rural places, tortoises and turtles beeing
                      essentially able to live in gardens, rarely in terrarium like snakes or
                      lizard are.

                      But it's true, yes.

                      I continue, you will see what I offer to do, humbly of course :

                      I have enumerated 4 solutions, that I remind :

                      1rst solution : Create a Yahoo account (it automatically creates a Yahoo
                      profile). And after that, those who are in this situation have to
                      reattach their new Yahoo profile to the groups they are members. It is
                      the best solution but... it is very often out of comprehension
                      technically to all the persons that are absoluty beotian in the use of a
                      computer. And Yahoo doesn't seems to be ready to evolve the simplicity
                      of its procedures...

                      2nd solution : Send the photos to a service of photo albums on the web :
                      - http://imageshack.us/ (in english)
                      - http://www.servimg.com/ (in french)

                      3rd solution : Create one's own website. Once more it needs to have a
                      certain knowledge in computering to do that.

                      4rth solution : Send the pictures to me. I do it for you on my own
                      website in the 24 hours that follow. I have three own websites. One
                      which is public
                      http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jacques.prestreau/tortues/pdf/ and two which
                      are private (one of them beeing actually in construction with
                      universities about the evolution of life on Earth). So if you trust in
                      me and in my solution and don't trust in public picture service
                      websites, you can send your pictures to me, telling me its for PFAF
                      Group, and I do it for you. Of course not tons of pictures. But
                      reazonably and there's absolutely any problem. Rich has my postal
                      address if you'd have to send me policemen :-)))

                      All these four solutions remain possible.

                      In my offer for the 4rth solution, my action should be simply :

                      1- I Receive the picture(s) by mail (the sender tells me it's for PFAF
                      group).

                      2- I resize each picture 640x480 or 800x600 depending on the visible
                      details, and allways in JPG or PNG (so in excellent quality for
                      screens). It doesn't take time to me... I do that all day long... And my
                      tool is Coreldraw X4.

                      3- I give to the picture a sequential number.

                      4 -I put it in a folder of my website (a folder which remains not
                      visible by the menus of the site, so to get to the page it's necessarily
                      knowing its address)

                      5 -And I send the URL to the group in an short message with the same
                      title as the questioner.

                      That's all, nothing else. Very easy for me (I repeat, it's an action
                      that I do all day long, and all year long, working for taxonomy,
                      cladistic and phylogeny). And I don't ask for anything in return. It's
                      just by passion for the nature.

                      And so the pictures are never attached to messages. Each member who
                      wants to see the pictures has just to click voluntarily on the link I
                      have left or each one. That's all. And this solution may be very useful
                      for the PFAF members who have not a Yahoo profile and/or who have any
                      knowledge of computering. It's also useful for those who have old slow
                      modems... the pictures beeing getable only on a voluntary clic on the
                      link. And it remains private, only for the group, the folder beeing
                      inaccessible by the pages of my site, except if the owner would like
                      them to be.

                      Here are examples I have made for a member of my group "Tortues" last
                      year. His pictures are so beautiful that I have asked him his
                      authorization to create a page apart, only for his pictures :

                      http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jacques.prestreau/tortues/pdf/tsigale.htm

                      As you see, there is just a sequential number. I have in project to
                      create little thumbnails, but for some next month.

                      Functionaly what I send to the group is just the single link. Nothing
                      else. I have just to send to the group a message like this one (imagine,
                      it's a sample, but functional, you can try):

                      Re: [pfaf] Identification please for a small red flower

                      Here are the pictures submitted by John Doe yesterday at 7 PM (his
                      original message below) :

                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_01.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_02.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_03.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_04.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_05.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_06.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_07.jpg
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/sample/sample_08.jpg

                      Remind : All the archives :
                      http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/

                      That's all.

                      I think you have all recognized Anagallis arvensis, of course. And here,
                      the pictures were so beautiful that after we had answered his question I
                      had archived not the little copies but the originals.

                      So for those who don't know how to do because they are absolutely
                      beotian in computering or they have no Yahoo profile (or both), I can
                      offer few minutes every day for that. It doesn't cost any thing for me.
                      Even no time, for me to manipulate pictures of nature it's never a loss,
                      it's always a pleasure.

                      Of course, don't abuse of it, but I'm quite always ready to do it in the
                      24 hours after I've received the pictures. Just put for example "PFAF
                      Group - Pictures please" in the subject and a kind word in the mail, and
                      I do it.

                      Of course, please don't forget to thank after the work, it's always
                      appreciated. And it's always benefic for the human relations.

                      Otherwise you have the 2nd solution above : Send the photos to a service
                      of photo albums on the web.

                      Friendship to all
                      Jacques

                      Message Original
                      De : matthew@...
                      A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                      Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 11:07:51 PM +0100
                      Sujet du mail : [pfaf] The vision of pictures on PFAF

                      > The problem is that the Yahoo group PFAF is not set to accept e-mail
                      > attachments.
                      > <
                      > Bonjour Jacques and everyone !
                      >
                      > It would be wonderful to enable photos on PFAF, but folks with slower
                      connections (still many people in rural France) will understand that it
                      just takes two or three 8mb image files to make mail downloads very
                      difficult, sometimes after half an hour or so the connection breaks and
                      all emails need to be downloaded a second, or 3rd, 4th, 5th time (if
                      using outlook, for example).

                      > I have my (online) eMail set to hold images and other attachments,
                      and only download files I specify - this is better security against
                      mal-ware and spam (attachments in spam can return a record of where they
                      are downloaded).

                      > Most people have online eMail these days - hotmail, yahoo, gmail, so
                      do not have to view eMail with attachments. Maybe the group could agree
                      to accept photos ?

                      > Matt

                    • Peter Ellis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 29, 2009
                        The message <49CEB861.2040409@...>
                        from Jacques PRESTREAU <jacques.prestreau@...> contains these words:

                        > > folks with slower connections (still many people in rural France)

                        > Yes.

                        > Very few, nowadays. But, yes, there's still people in some deep rural
                        > regions whitout any high speed connection. About 0.5% now in France. Not
                        > more. But yes, there are still some like this who in 2009 can't have more.

                        I access the group from my laptop with a wireless modem, so not as fast
                        as when I use my PC. However, my email, and I've had the same address
                        for 15yrs, so I don't want to change, uses high security software that
                        does not allow attachments.

                        Cheers

                        Peter
                      • Peggy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 29, 2009
                          I live in MO, USA. We live in the country and can not get high speed conections in this area. Plus I have an old used computor. So I am unable to take advantage of some of the opportunities that others have. I feel very fortunate to live in the country and to be able to raise our own animals and fresh garden produce. So I can't complain. I do love pictures. Peg --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Jacques PRESTREAU <jacques.prestreau@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > <
                          > > Bonjour Jacques and everyone !
                          > >
                          > > It would be wonderful to enable photos on PFAF, but folks with slower
                          > connections (still many people in rural France) will understand that it
                          > just takes two or three 8mb image files to make mail downloads very
                          > difficult, sometimes after half an hour or so the connection breaks and
                          > all emails need to be downloaded a second, or 3rd, 4th, 5th time (if
                          > using outlook, for example).
                          > >
                          > > I have my (online) eMail set to hold images and other attachments,
                          > and only download files I specify - this is better security against
                          > mal-ware and spam (attachments in spam can return a record of where they
                          > are downloaded).
                          > >
                          > > Most people have online eMail these days - hotmail, yahoo, gmail, so
                          > do not have to view eMail with attachments. Maybe the group could agree

                        • Jacques PRESTREAU
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 30, 2009
                            Hello everybody !

                            As promised, here are the first pictures with my little absolutely free
                            offer of service.

                            Javier's pictures are :
                            - http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/1.jpg (58 Ko)
                            - http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/2.jpg (71 Ko)

                            And the whole directory is, as announced in one of my previous messages :
                            - http://www.geo-bio.fr/pfaf/

                            At your keyboards to help Javier in his identification of this plant !

                            So long...
                            Jacques

                            *Message Original*
                            De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@...>
                            A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                            Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
                            Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

                            > Javier ,
                            >
                            > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
                            >
                            > Luc
                            > Mexico

                          • luc vleeracker
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 30, 2009
                              Looks like Bombacopsis glabra , Saba nut , the pod should open and the edible nuts are inside.

                              Luc

                              De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@ yahoo.com>
                              A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
                              Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
                              Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

                              > Javier ,
                              >
                              > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
                              >
                              > Luc
                              > Mexico

                            • Javier Cosp
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 1, 2009
                                Yes. I was looking in Google pictures of trees and fruits of Bombacopsis glabra,
                                and YES, it is the tree that I have.

                                Thank you Luc.

                                Javier Cosp
                                Paraguay

                                De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@ yahoo.com>
                                A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
                                Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
                                Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

                                > Javier ,
                                >
                                > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
                                >
                                > Luc
                                > Mexico

                              • luc vleeracker
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 1, 2009
                                  Hola Javier ,

                                  What other tropical fruits are you growing ? You are at 20 to 25 degrees south , I am at 20 north. Tropical and exotic fruit is my passion , I grow 300 + different ones.

                                  Luc
                                  Mexico

                                  De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@ yahoo.com>
                                  A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
                                  Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
                                  Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

                                  > Javier ,
                                  >
                                  > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
                                  >
                                  > Luc
                                  > Mexico

                                • ryborgryborg268
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 2, 2009
                                    Hi list. Y not use this groups
                                    photo album and then link 2 it?
                                    ..assuming the photo is relevent.
                                    Otherwise make a photo album
                                    somewhere else! I think more
                                    people should put up pics of
                                    projects they r involved in here.
                                    All the best, ryborg. --- In pfaf
                                    @yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <

                                    @> wrote:

                                    > > Hello Matt
                                    > > Hello Rich
                                    > > Hello Everyone
                                    > >

                                    > > > folks with slower
                                    connections (still many people
                                    in rural France)

                                    > > Yes.
                                    > >
                                    > > Very few, nowadays. But,
                                    yes, there's still people in some
                                    deep rural
                                    > > regions whitout any high
                                    speed connection. About 0.5%
                                    now in France. Not
                                    > > more. But yes, there are still
                                    some like this who in 2009
                                    can't have more.

                                    > > > sometimes after half an
                                    hour or so

                                    > > Hmmm... Not so much. But
                                    it's true, connections remain
                                    long and
                                    > > hazardeous with the last old
                                    modem still alive.

                                    > > In fact, with our actual 850
                                    members in my "Tortues"
                                    Yahoo group, we
                                    > > have only 2 members who
                                    are still in that situation, with
                                    though about
                                    > > 75% of the members in
                                    rural places, tortoises and turtles
                                    beeing
                                    > > essentially able to live in
                                    gardens, rarely in terrarium like
                                    snakes or
                                    > > lizard are.
                                    > >
                                    > > But it's true, yes.
                                    > >

                                    > > I continue, you will see
                                    what I offer to do, humbly of
                                    course :

                                    > > I have enumerated 4
                                    solutions, that I remind :

                                    > > 1rst solution : Create a
                                    Yahoo account (it automatically
                                    creates a Yahoo
                                    > > profile). And after that,
                                    those who are in this situation
                                    have to
                                    > > reattach their new Yahoo
                                    profile to the groups they are
                                    members. It is
                                    > > the best solution but... it is
                                    very often out of comprehension

                                    > > technically to all the
                                    persons that are absoluty
                                    beotian in the use of a
                                    > > computer. And Yahoo
                                    doesn't seems to be ready to
                                    evolve the simplicity
                                    > > of its procedures...
                                    > >

                                    > > 2nd solution : Send the
                                    photos to a service of photo
                                    albums on the web :
                                    > > - http://imageshack.us/ (in
                                    english)
                                    > > - http://www.servimg.com/
                                    (in french)

                                    > > 3rd solution : Create one's
                                    own website. Once more it
                                    needs to have a
                                    > > certain knowledge in
                                    computering to do that.

                                    > > 4rth solution : Send the
                                    pictures to me. I do it for you on
                                    my own
                                    > > website in the 24 hours that
                                    follow. I have three own
                                    websites. One
                                    > > which is public
                                    > > http://pagesperso-
                                    orange.fr/jacques.prestreau/
                                    tortues/pdf/ and two which
                                    > > are private (one of them
                                    beeing actually in construction
                                    with
                                    > > universities about the
                                    evolution of life on Earth). So if
                                    you trust in
                                    > > me and in my solution and
                                    don't trust in public picture
                                    service
                                    > > websites, you can send your
                                    pictures to me, telling me its for
                                    PFAF
                                    > > Group, and I do it for you. Of
                                    course not tons of pictures. But
                                    > > reazonably and there's
                                    absolutely any problem. Rich
                                    has my postal
                                    > > address if you'd have to
                                    send me policemen :-)))

                                    > > All these four solutions
                                    remain possible.

                                    > > In my offer for the 4rth
                                    solution, my action should be
                                    simply :

                                    > > 1- I Receive the picture(s)
                                    by mail (the sender tells me it's
                                    for PFAF
                                    > > group).
                                    > >
                                    > > 2- I resize each picture
                                    640x480 or 800x600 depending
                                    on the visible
                                    > > details, and allways in JPG
                                    or PNG (so in excellent quality
                                    for
                                    > > screens). It doesn't take
                                    time to me... I do that all day
                                    long... And my
                                    > > tool is Coreldraw X4.
                                    > >
                                    > > 3- I give to the picture a
                                    sequential number.

                                    > > 4 -I put it in a folder of my
                                    website (a folder which remains
                                    not
                                    > > visible by the menus of the
                                    site, so to get to the page it's
                                    necessarily
                                    > > knowing its address)
                                    > >
                                    > > 5 -And I send the URL to
                                    the group in an short message
                                    with the same
                                    > > title as the questioner.
                                    > >
                                    > > That's all, nothing else. Very
                                    easy for me (I repeat, it's an
                                    action
                                    > > that I do all day long, and
                                    all year long, working for
                                    taxonomy,
                                    > > cladistic and phylogeny).
                                    And I don't ask for anything in
                                    return. It's
                                    > > just by passion for the
                                    nature.

                                    > > And so the pictures are
                                    never attached to messages.
                                    Each member who
                                    > > wants to see the pictures
                                    has just to click voluntarily on
                                    the link I
                                    > > have left or each one.
                                    That's all. And this solution may
                                    be very useful
                                    > > for the PFAF members who
                                    have not a Yahoo profile and/or
                                    who have any
                                    > > knowledge of computering.
                                    It's also useful for those who
                                    have old slow
                                    > > modems... the pictures
                                    beeing getable only on a
                                    voluntary clic on the
                                    > > link. And it remains private,
                                    only for the group, the folder
                                    beeing
                                    > > inaccessible by the pages of
                                    my site, except if the owner
                                    would like
                                    > > them to be.
                                    > >

                                    > > Here are examples I have
                                    made for a member of my
                                    group "Tortues" last
                                    :

                                    > > http://pagesperso-
                                    orange.fr/jacques.prestreau/
                                    tortues/pdf/tsigale.htm

                                    > > As you see, there is just a
                                    sequential number. I have in
                                    project to
                                    > > create little thumbnails, but
                                    for some next month.

                                    > > Functionaly what I send to
                                    the group is just the single link.
                                    Nothing
                                    > > else. I have just to send to
                                    the group a message like this
                                    one (imagine,
                                    > > it's a sample, but functional,
                                    you can try):

                                    > > ______________________
                                    __________________________
                                    ___

                                    ------

                                    > > Here are the pictures
                                    submitted by John Doe
                                    yesterday at 7 PM (his
                                    > > original message below) :
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_01.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_02.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_03.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_04.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_05.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_06.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_07.jpg
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/sample/sample_08.jpg

                                    > > Remind : All the archives :
                                    > > http://www.geo-bio.fr/
                                    pfaf/
                                    > > ______________________
                                    __________________________
                                    ___

                                    > > That's all.
                                    > >
                                    > > I think you have all
                                    recognized Anagallis arvensis, of
                                    course. And here,
                                    > > the pictures were so
                                    beautiful that after we had
                                    answered his question I
                                    > > had archived not the little
                                    copies but the originals.

                                    > > So for those who don't
                                    know how to do because they
                                    are absolutely
                                    > > beotian in computering or
                                    they have no Yahoo profile (or
                                    both), I can
                                    > > offer few minutes every day
                                    for that. It doesn't cost any
                                    thing for me.
                                    > > Even no time, for me to
                                    manipulate pictures of nature
                                    it's never a loss,
                                    > > it's always a pleasure.
                                    > >
                                    > > Of course, don't abuse of it,
                                    but I'm quite always ready to do
                                    it in the
                                    > > 24 hours after I've received
                                    the pictures. Just put for
                                    example "PFAF
                                    > > Group - Pictures please" in
                                    the subject and a kind word in
                                    the mail, and
                                    > > I do it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Of course, please don't
                                    forget to thank after the work,
                                    it's always
                                    > > appreciated. And it's always
                                    benefic for the human relations.

                                    > > Otherwise you have the 2nd
                                    solution above : Send the
                                    photos to a service

                                    __________________________
                                    ______________________

                                    @yahoogroups.com
                                    > > Date de l'envoi : 28/
                                    03/2009 11:07:51 PM +0100
                                    > > Sujet du mail : [pfaf]
                                    The vision of pictures on PFAF

                                    > > > The problem is that the
                                    Yahoo group PFAF is not set to
                                    accept e-mail
                                    > > > attachments.
                                    > > > <
                                    > > > Bonjour Jacques and
                                    everyone !

                                    > > > It would be wonderful to
                                    enable photos on PFAF, but
                                    folks with slower
                                    > > connections (still many
                                    people in rural France) will
                                    understand that it
                                    > > just takes two or three 8mb
                                    image files to make mail
                                    downloads very
                                    > > difficult, sometimes after
                                    half an hour or so the
                                    connection breaks and
                                    > > all emails need to be
                                    downloaded a second, or 3rd,
                                    4th, 5th time (if
                                    > > using outlook, for example).
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I have my (online) eMail
                                    set to hold images and other
                                    attachments,
                                    > > and only download files I
                                    specify - this is better security
                                    against
                                    > > mal-ware and spam
                                    (attachments in spam can return
                                    a record of where they
                                    > > are downloaded).
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Most people have online
                                    eMail these days - hotmail,
                                    yahoo, gmail, so
                                    > > do not have to view eMail
                                    with attachments. Maybe the
                                    group could agree
                                    > > to accept photos ?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Matt
                                    > > >

                                    > > > [Non-text portions of this
                                    message h
                                  • Javier Cosp
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 2, 2009
                                      Hola Luc:

                                      I have mostly macadamias which are not very exotic. I also have trees of
                                      what we call Ñandypa in guaraní (Genipa americana), yvapuru (myrciaria
                                      cauliflora), Guavirá (campomanesia xantocarpa), Guaviyu (?), Ñangapiry (eugenia uniflora),
                                      Pacuri (Rheedia brasiliensis o guaranitica?), Aguai (Chrysophylumm gonocarpum?), Pecan,
                                      Ingá and the saba nut that you identified. Also several palms like Palmito, Pindó (?), the
                                      paraguayan coconut and the palm that grows in arab countries with deliciuos fruit
                                      which name I dont remember now.

                                      With the exception of Ingá, all of them are very slow to grow,so I still dont have
                                      fruits.

                                      And of course I have the trees very popular that you can find also in the streets of Asuncion
                                      like mangos, guayabas, acerolas, cirimoyas, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, nisperos,
                                      carambolas, (sorry I dont know the name in english or cientific names)

                                      I envy you for your 300 + trees. :-)

                                      Javier
                                      Paraguay

                                      De : luc vleeracker <lucvleeracker@ yahoo.com>
                                      A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
                                      Date de l'envoi : 28/03/2009 1:47:01 AM +0100
                                      Sujet du mail : [pfaf] What is this fruit?

                                      > Javier ,
                                      >
                                      > You didn't attach the picture of the fruit.
                                      >
                                      > Luc
                                      > Mexico

                                    • Tomal Dattaroy
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 22, 2011
                                        Javier

                                        This is the chikoo or sapodilla. It is delicious - extremely sweet. It needs to be just ripe to be eaten - unripe fruits are a bit too phenolic and over-ripe fruits rot very fast (those adventurous enough may want to prepare a heady brew ;)). Grows extensively in India and is also called the sapota or sobeda in different parts of the country.

                                        Check this wikipedia link:

                                        Enjoy the fruit.
                                        Tomal Dattaroy
                                        Bangalore
                                        India
                                      • Javier Cosp
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 23, 2011

                                          Thank you Tomal, Terry, mIEKAL and Matthew.

                                          What intrigues me is that the fruit in the picture has only one seed (without hook),
                                          and Manilkara Zapota, chichu or chikoo has between 2 and 5 seeds with a hook.

                                          I guess it is a variety of Manilkata Zapota. I will eat them next season.

                                          Thank you,

                                          Javier Cosp (Paraguay)

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 23, 2011
                                            Hi Javier,

                                            If it is one seeded, it is most likely Pouteria, perhaps Pouteria sapota:
                                            http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o8bgl3

                                            Pouteria sapota is another very variable fruit, flesh can be white to
                                            red, and the size of fruit vary hugely. And some Pouteria fruit can
                                            have more than one seed.

                                            All the best,
                                            Matthew

                                            Matthew Sleigh
                                            P-2, North Poblacion
                                            Don Carlos, Bukidnon
                                            8712
                                            Philippines
                                            http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 23, 2011
                                              Javier
                                              I am not surprised that the fruit you saw had only one seed. The fruit that we get here have 1 or at most 2 seeds.
                                              Tomal
                                              Bangalore