Re: Looking for seeds in the US of A

  • ryborgryborg268
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, marc+pfaf@... wrote:

      > Normally Sheffield seed us my 'go to' place for seed.
      >
      > But they lack
      >
      > Zanthoxylum beecheyanum
      > Zanthoxylum bungeanum
      > Lupinus albus
      > Lupinus albus graecus
      > Lupinus angustifolius
      > Pinus albicaulis
      > Pinus koraiensis
      > Pinus monophylla
      >
      > And badgersett research doesn't seem to carry
      >
      > Corylus avellana pontica
      >
      > And I've not found 'resonable' prices for them.
      > Suggestions on sourcing?

    • catzedibles
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, marc+pfaf@... wrote:

        > Normally Sheffield seed us my 'go to' place for seed.
        >
        > But they lack
        >
        > Zanthoxylum beecheyanum
        > Zanthoxylum bungeanum
        > Lupinus albus
        > Lupinus albus graecus
        > Lupinus angustifolius
        > Pinus albicaulis
        > Pinus koraiensis
        > Pinus monophylla
        >
        > And badgersett research doesn't seem to carry
        >
        > Corylus avellana pontica
        >
        > And I've not found 'resonable' prices for them.
        > Suggestions on sourcing?

        Marc
        I have extensively searched for Lupinus alba seed and as yet not found a supplier in the US. There is a very good info site at http://www.lupins.org Some countries are growing it for their livestock feed. Lupinus mutabilis is the closest edible I have found available. Hardyplants.com has varities of this species. I believe they are in the US because at the checkout site they give instructions if seeds are to shipped outside the US. Sometimes B & T World Seeds has Lupinus alba seeds but you'll need a permit to import them. Hope this helps.
        Cat

      • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
          >Sometimes B & T World Seeds has Lupinus alba seeds but you'll need a permit to import them. Hope this helps.
          Cat<

          http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Lupinus%20albus&sref=39813

          If you live in the USA and are interested in importing small quantities of seeds, a small lot of seeds permit is very useful - they last for as many imports as you want over 3 years, and whoever you get the seeds from does not need to have the seeds health and identity tested for Phytosanitary certification, which can be expensive and time consuming.

          http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml

          Small quantities of seeds can be imported without phytosanitary certification or import permits, but it is against regulations. And it will probably be those rare, unreplaceable, expensive seeds that get impounded, not the common garden flowers you could have got for a few cents at Walmart.

          Matt