Re: [pfaf] Of all the plants that should be in pfaf... where's the moringa tree?

  • The Organic Fanatic
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
      I was wondering if moringa can be planted in zone 5b. I use the leaf
      for tea. It's really good for you but I would like to have my own
      supply.

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009

        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Moringa%20oleifera&sref=29274

        I've just learned about moringa trees and am starting to grow some myself. I was surprised to see that they weren't in the pfaf database, and that they haven't been discussed on this list.

        Do your own research, but to put it simply, these things are nutritional powerhouses. There are charitable organizations that revolve around planting these trees for third-world villages to combat malnutrition. This tree would, in my opinion, deserve a place on the top 20 list, if not the top 5. Much of the plant is edible, and medicinal. The leaves have so many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, essential oils, etc... that one wonders how so much could be in this one plant.

        But I won't give away all the fun. Look it up yourself. :-)

        Cheers,
        Erich

        Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        To change settings via email:
        mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Michael Porter
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2009
          Moringa trees are very sensitive to frost, --1 or 2 deg of frost will kill the part affected, --