Of all the plants that should be in pfaf... where's the moringa tree?

  • eptenke
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
      Hi all,

      I've just learned about moringa trees and am starting to grow some myself. I was surprised to see that they weren't in the pfaf database, and that they haven't been discussed on this list.

      Do your own research, but to put it simply, these things are nutritional powerhouses. There are charitable organizations that revolve around planting these trees for third-world villages to combat malnutrition. This tree would, in my opinion, deserve a place on the top 20 list, if not the top 5. Much of the plant is edible, and medicinal. The leaves have so many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, essential oils, etc... that one wonders how so much could be in this one plant.

      But I won't give away all the fun. Look it up yourself. :-)

      Cheers,
      Erich
    • Mary
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
        I live in central Florida and we've had a couple of freezes, my
        moringa's survived. Trying to get more going. I put the leaves in any
        green veggie dish to up the nutrition. They tend to dissolve so you
        really don't taste them. Some people I know dry the leaves and use in
        soups & stews as a thickner. One lady who raises goats grow them for
        fodder.

        Whole heartedly agree, they are wonderful plants.

        Mary

        eptenke wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've just learned about moringa trees and am starting to grow some myself. I was surprised to see that they weren't in the pfaf database, and that they haven't been discussed on this list.
        >
        > Do your own research, but to put it simply, these things are nutritional powerhouses. There are charitable organizations that revolve around planting these trees for third-world villages to combat malnutrition. This tree would, in my opinion, deserve a place on the top 20 list, if not the top 5. Much of the plant is edible, and medicinal. The leaves have so many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, essential oils, etc... that one wonders how so much could be in this one plant.

      • The Organic Fanatic
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
          I was wondering if moringa can be planted in zone 5b. I use the leaf
          for tea. It's really good for you but I would like to have my own
          supply.

          On 3/7/09, Mary <hawk.mistress@...> wrote:
          > I live in central Florida and we've had a couple of freezes, my
          > moringa's survived. Trying to get more going. I put the leaves in any
          > green veggie dish to up the nutrition. They tend to dissolve so you
          > really don't taste them. Some people I know dry the leaves and use in
          > soups & stews as a thickner. One lady who raises goats grow them for
          > fodder.
          >
          > Whole heartedly agree, they are wonderful plants.
          >
          > Mary
          >
          > eptenke wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I've just learned about moringa trees and am starting to grow some myself.
          >> I was surprised to see that they weren't in the pfaf database, and that
          >> they haven't been discussed on this list.
          >>
          >> Do your own research, but to put it simply, these things are nutritional
          >> powerhouses. There are charitable organizations that revolve around
          >> planting these trees for third-world villages to combat malnutrition.
          >> This tree would, in my opinion, deserve a place on the top 20 list, if not
          >> the top 5. Much of the plant is edible, and medicinal. The leaves have
          >> so many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, essential oils, etc... that one
          >> wonders how so much could be in this one plant.

        • Michael Porter
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
            Orange Springs FL is too cold,- this years freezes has killed all of mine, -- but it is a wonderful tree, --I may see how it will do in my greenhouse, --Michael Porter

          • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009

              http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Moringa%20oleifera&sref=29274

              I've just learned about moringa trees and am starting to grow some myself. I was surprised to see that they weren't in the pfaf database, and that they haven't been discussed on this list.

              Do your own research, but to put it simply, these things are nutritional powerhouses. There are charitable organizations that revolve around planting these trees for third-world villages to combat malnutrition. This tree would, in my opinion, deserve a place on the top 20 list, if not the top 5. Much of the plant is edible, and medicinal. The leaves have so many minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, essential oils, etc... that one wonders how so much could be in this one plant.

              But I won't give away all the fun. Look it up yourself. :-)

              Cheers,
              Erich

              Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              To change settings via email:
              mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Michael Porter
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2009
                Moringa trees are very sensitive to frost, --1 or 2 deg of frost will kill the part affected, --