ferns

  • bastianklara
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
      I´m looking for ferns which are both useful (edible or useful in some
      other way) and decorative? Do you know any???
      lena
    • Ken Fern
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2003
        Dear Bastianklara

        Ferns, in general, are not the most useful of plants from a purely human
        point of view. There are, however, several species that can be eaten (though
        always cooked since the raw plant can often contain an enzyme that robs the
        body of B vitamins) and several that are very useful medicinally.

        Attached is a list of some of the more useful ferns for the temperate zone,
        many of them are considered to be ornamental garden plants, though it is for
        you to judge this since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

        Regards

        Ken Fern