help wanted re edible flowers

  • Carrie Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
      I'm really into edible flowers.......or thought I was until entering the
      pfaf website search on edible flowers and being totally awed!

      However, I'm also rather alarmed. Numerous Aquilegias are mentioned. I
      have a special interest in this genus and have never come across any other
      reference to their edibility. No...most references cite their poisonous
      quaality as plants, tho' I believe seeds have been used...often for their
      purgitive effect I believe. The new aquilegia monograph doesn't mention
      their edible flowers only, so I'm not alone in my ignorance. Can anyone
      calm my concerns? Anyone eaten them..........and still here?!!

      cheers -Carrie-
    • Ken Fern
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2003
        Dear Carrie,

        The main reference to the edibility of the flowers is found in the book
        "Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest." by J.J.
        Schofield.
        There are also some references in "Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible
        Plants." by Stephen Facciola.
        "Plants for Human Consumption." by G. Kunkel (which says they should be
        boiled first)
        "Earth Medicine, Earth Food." by M.A. Weiner
        and "Native American Ethnobotany" by Daniel Moerman. (only the nectar is
        mentioned)

        I have eaten the flowers of several species myself (though mainly Aquilegia
        vulgaris and various cultivars of it), my two young children also quite like
        them, especially the double-flowered forms. As far as I know, we have all
        survived the experience, and even enjoyed it!!!

        The flowers of most plants, if not exactly desirable to eat, are generally
        edible. The main exception I have come across is the genus Rhododendron, the
        pollen of which is said to be toxic. I certainly would not eat the flowers
        of some of the more toxic species of plants, such as Aconitum, but the
        toxicity of Aquilegia is of a rather low order (indeed there are reports
        that the leaves and even roots of some species have been used for food) and
        so I do feel that the flowers are safe (though we do give a warning on each
        entry in our database for this genus of possible toxicity).

        I hope that answers your query.

        Ken Fern