Re: [pfaf] Strange fruit info request

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
      Good job, Matt.
      Gail

      --- On Sat, 2/7/09, matthew@... <matthew@...> wrote:

      From: matthew@... <matthew@...>
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] Strange fruit info request
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 4:12 AM

      By some accident an Eastern Mediterranrean "black" Pomegranate (Punica granatum var. Roman Eswed ( or Kara-Nar )) has become the healing Pomegranate - presumably because ordinary Pomegranates are fairly cheap and common.

      This variety ( or varieties ) has thinner skin and a more acid taste than typical, shop bought fruit, and is said to have healing properties in the regions of origin ( most plants do ).

      It is an interesting ornamental plant and may be less sour if left to ripen longer on the tree ( or may not :)
      http://aggie- horticulture. tamu.edu/ extension/ newsletters/ hortupdate/ oct04/Pome. jpg

      "Black", as usual with plants, is really a rather nice dark purple.

      Matt

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      Matthew Sleigh
      B and T World Seeds
      Paguignan
      34210 Aigues-Vives
      France
      matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
      http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/
      fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
        Wonderful is not a black pomegranate.

        There are real black pomegranates in the middle east/central Asia, a few in Israel and a few in the US. All have smallish fruit that I know of.

        Sara