Re: Strange fruit info request

  • Village
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hallo Matt,

      Cuttings came from Israel, and I suppose that my friend there has Russian
      roots.

      Nine of ten cuttings woke up already ! I am very happy, because according to
      the before mentioned book, they are frost friendly! Hurrah thus !!!

      Vriendelijke groeten,

    • Gail Lloyd
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
        Not being able to find the botanical name for the "black" pomegranate was puzzling me, so I did some more research.
        Deep-purple colors in the plant kingdom are often called "black".  Low temperatures can often turn leaves a dark, purplish color, also, and possibly fruit (this could have happened to the "black" pomegranate).  But I found some more information that is more likely the "black" pomegranate:
        On the list of cultivars of Punica granatum L. (at http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html) are:
        Wonderful
        Originated in Florida. First propagated in California in 1896. Large, deep purple-red fruit. Rind medium thick, tough. Flesh deep crimson in color, juicy and of a delicious vinous flavor. Seeds not very hard. Better for juicing than for eating out of hand. Plant is vigorous and productive. Leading commercial variety in California.

        Gail

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
          Good job, Matt.
          Gail

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
            Wonderful is not a black pomegranate.

            There are real black pomegranates in the middle east/central Asia, a few in Israel and a few in the US. All have smallish fruit that I know of.

            Sara