Re: Strange fruit info request

  • Village
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hallo Matt,

      Cuttings came from Israel, and I suppose that my friend there has Russian
      roots.

      Nine of ten cuttings woke up already ! I am very happy, because according to
      the before mentioned book, they are frost friendly! Hurrah thus !!!

      Vriendelijke groeten,

    • Village
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hallo Ludwig,

        In Kirkuk Kurdistan, I worked one year to supervise Turkish subcontractors
        while erecting aeroplane hangars for the Iraqi Air Force. Also in Baghdad
        and in Southern Iraq, we had several Turkish, as well as Turk Mani
        subcontractors. I stayed and lived with them, only sometimes going to
        headquarters Baghdad every two weeks. I had an excellent relation as well
        with the engineers as with the workers, so their friendliness has few
        secrets to me.

        The black pomegranates are a present from heaven to me, as also we consumed
        a lot of it in Iraq. Probably they will be planted on my "Nieuw Struweel" in
        Flanders, Mortsel.

        Vriendelijke groeten,

        Leo

      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
          Not being able to find the botanical name for the "black" pomegranate was puzzling me, so I did some more research.
          Deep-purple colors in the plant kingdom are often called "black".  Low temperatures can often turn leaves a dark, purplish color, also, and possibly fruit (this could have happened to the "black" pomegranate).  But I found some more information that is more likely the "black" pomegranate:
          On the list of cultivars of Punica granatum L. (at http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html) are:
          Wonderful
          Originated in Florida. First propagated in California in 1896. Large, deep purple-red fruit. Rind medium thick, tough. Flesh deep crimson in color, juicy and of a delicious vinous flavor. Seeds not very hard. Better for juicing than for eating out of hand. Plant is vigorous and productive. Leading commercial variety in California.

          Gail

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
            Good job, Matt.
            Gail

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
              Wonderful is not a black pomegranate.

              There are real black pomegranates in the middle east/central Asia, a few in Israel and a few in the US. All have smallish fruit that I know of.

              Sara