Re: [pfaf] Strange fruit info request

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
      Is it a real pomegranate (Punica granatium) or some other fruits just named "pomegranate".
      Chiranjity Parmar, www.fruitipedia.com
      ---- matthew@... wrote:

      > A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
      > I don't find serious information, using that name.
      > Can anybody help? Latin name unknown
      > <
      >
      > What country did your friend send the cuttings from (just in case it is the country of origin) ? There are "Pomegranates" from Australia for example.
      >
      > Matt

    • Sara Elbrai
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
        I suspect it's just a pomegranate that has fruit with black skin. Most black skined pomegranates have small fruit and don't taste that great either.

        Sara

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
          By some accident an Eastern Mediterranrean "black" Pomegranate (Punica granatum var. Roman Eswed ( or Kara-Nar )) has become the healing Pomegranate - presumably because ordinary Pomegranates are fairly cheap and common.

          This variety ( or varieties ) has thinner skin and a more acid taste than typical, shop bought fruit, and is said to have healing properties in the regions of origin ( most plants do ).

          It is an interesting ornamental plant and may be less sour if left to ripen longer on the tree ( or may not :)
          http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/oct04/Pome.jpg

          "Black", as usual with plants, is really a rather nice dark purple.

          Matt

          Matthew Sleigh
          P-2, North Poblacion
          Don Carlos, Bukidnon
          8712
          Philippines

          Matthew Sleigh
          B and T World Seeds
          Paguignan
          34210 Aigues-Vives
          France
          matthew@...
          http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
          fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

          I suspect it's just a pomegranate that has fruit with black skin. Most black skined pomegranates have small fruit and don't taste that great either.

          Sara

          > A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
          > I don't find serious information, using that name.
          > Can anybody help? Latin name unknown

          Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          To change settings via email:
          mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Village
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
            Hallo Matt,

            Cuttings came from Israel, and I suppose that my friend there has Russian
            roots.

            Nine of ten cuttings woke up already ! I am very happy, because according to
            the before mentioned book, they are frost friendly! Hurrah thus !!!

            Vriendelijke groeten,

          • Village
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
              Hallo Ludwig,

              In Kirkuk Kurdistan, I worked one year to supervise Turkish subcontractors
              while erecting aeroplane hangars for the Iraqi Air Force. Also in Baghdad
              and in Southern Iraq, we had several Turkish, as well as Turk Mani
              subcontractors. I stayed and lived with them, only sometimes going to
              headquarters Baghdad every two weeks. I had an excellent relation as well
              with the engineers as with the workers, so their friendliness has few
              secrets to me.

              The black pomegranates are a present from heaven to me, as also we consumed
              a lot of it in Iraq. Probably they will be planted on my "Nieuw Struweel" in
              Flanders, Mortsel.

              Vriendelijke groeten,

              Leo

            • Village
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                Thanks a lot Gail !!!

                This book is really revealing and a great resource!

                Strange that there seems no Latin botanical name for the species? ?

                Vriendelijke groeten,

              • Gail Lloyd
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Not being able to find the botanical name for the "black" pomegranate was puzzling me, so I did some more research.
                  Deep-purple colors in the plant kingdom are often called "black".  Low temperatures can often turn leaves a dark, purplish color, also, and possibly fruit (this could have happened to the "black" pomegranate).  But I found some more information that is more likely the "black" pomegranate:
                  On the list of cultivars of Punica granatum L. (at http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html) are:
                  Wonderful
                  Originated in Florida. First propagated in California in 1896. Large, deep purple-red fruit. Rind medium thick, tough. Flesh deep crimson in color, juicy and of a delicious vinous flavor. Seeds not very hard. Better for juicing than for eating out of hand. Plant is vigorous and productive. Leading commercial variety in California.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Good job, Matt.
                    Gail

[...]

                    http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/
                    fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pfaf/ join

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
                      Wonderful is not a black pomegranate.

                      There are real black pomegranates in the middle east/central Asia, a few in Israel and a few in the US. All have smallish fruit that I know of.

                      Sara