Plants for abroad

  • sue_longden
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
      Not being a very knowledgeable gardener, I wonder if any member can
      help. I am visiting Prague at the end of September and want to take
      a present of a garden plant. Summers are hot and winters are cold.
      Any suggestions what I could get?

      Sue L
    • Ben Safronovitz
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
        CHERRY TREE AS BONSAI.
        BEN

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
          Dear Sue

          It is very hard to answer your question since there are literally many
          hundreds of plants you could take.

          Have you considered taking bulbs, since these are much easier to transport
          and will give years of pleasure. There are many ornamental onions with
          delicious tasting leaves, flowers and bulbs, for example, that will do well
          there. n particular, there is a N. American bulb, the quamash (Camassia
          quamash) that should do very well there and is truly delicious.

          These, and lots of other bulbs, are available from garden centres and
          nurseries right now for autumn planting.

          If you want information on these plants, visit our website and either search
          in the database or look at our leaflets on "Ornamental Onions" and
          "Alternative Roots Crops".

          If you have a more specific idea on the type of plant you would like to
          take, then feel free to get in touch and I could make more detailed
          suggestions.

          Regards

          Ken Fern