Re: [pfaf] LJMU University

  • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
      Sounds wonderful Robert !

      So you will have glazed areas, channeled water, washing facilities, solar ovens (work even in Liverpool) compost areas, dead wood and animal shit for growing mushrooms and fertilising the soil etc. shady areas, sun-traps, wind-breaks ?

      I think you will find climbing plants especially useful, and leguminous plants that put nitrogen into the soil, as well as providing food.
      Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is probably the best annual (in Britain, perennial in tropical regions) nitrogen fixing, climber. Practically the whole plant is edible, from it's roots to it's growing tips.
      Passiflora incarnata is probably the tastiest passionfruit (another perennial climbing plant) and grows well in places like old building sites, which are well drained and have alkaline soil. Passiflora caerulea can be trained - the fruit are tasty cooked.
      Kiwis are a perennial climbing plant.
      Ferns and Asparagus are pleasantly decorative for dark, shady positions, the young shoots can be eaten.
      Broad beans are a must for growing over winter, adding nitrogen to the soil, giving loads of early vegetables and suppressing weeds.

      Anyhow, looking forward to hearing what kind of diversity of growing spaces/micro-climates you are designing into your structure - it will help a lot with answering your question/s.

      All the best,
      Matthew

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      Matthew Sleigh
      B and T World Seeds
      Paguignan
      34210 Aigues-Vives
      France
      matthew@...
      http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
      fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
        Try the group database>reading. Also links and photos. One of my
        personal favourites is thornless loganberry - lushness defined when
        fully ripe. These can be grown on frames made from thin poles of most
        sorts of broadleaf trees. I would tend to go for fresh edible stuff
        rather than having to cook things especially in the context that you
        describe...people can just walk round foraging for food.

        Interesting project Robert, hope it makes it into reality.

        All the best,

        Jim.