Strange fruit info request

  • leokea
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
      A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
      I don't find serious information, using that name.
      Can anybody help? Latin name unknown
    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009

        A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
        I don't find serious information, using that name.
        Can anybody help? Latin name unknown
        <

        What country did your friend send the cuttings from (just in case it is the country of origin) ? There are "Pomegranates" from Australia for example.

        Matt

      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
          The only thing I could find that sounded like what you're describing was at:    http://books.google.com/books?id=_G59NFbNpREC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=black+pomegranate&source=bl&ots=7mxg3DikQI&sig=Ugp6azGJ7HWH5jqzTCrUCYed8pg&hl=en&ei=X1-MSf_1MIzaNL2Wya0L&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=11&ct=result

          Gail

          A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
          I don't find serious information, using that name.
          Can anybody help? Latin name unknown

        • ludd ...
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
            Hi Leo,

            I do not doubt you will need a conservatory to be succesful growing this fruit.
            I think it would be worth while to go and ask some Turkish people in your neighbourhood. As I believe it is a fruit very popular in their native country, they might well be able to help.

            Je ontdekt misschien wel hoe vriendelijk en behulpzaam Turkse mensen kunnen zijn!

            Ludwig

            From: leokea <leokeaerts@gmail. com>

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com

            Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 3:09 PM

            A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.

            I don't find serious information, using that name.

            Can anybody help? Latin name unknown

          • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
              Is it a pomegranate i.e. Punica granatum or some other fruit justy named pomegranate.
              Chiranjit Parmar; www.fruitiedia.com
              ---- matthew@... wrote:

              > A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
              > I don't find serious information, using that name.
              > Can anybody help? Latin name unknown
              > <
              >
              > What country did your friend send the cuttings from (just in case it is the country of origin) ? There are "Pomegranates" from Australia for example.
              >
              > Matt

            • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                Is it a real pomegranate (Punica granatium) or some other fruits just named "pomegranate".
                Chiranjity Parmar, www.fruitipedia.com
                ---- matthew@... wrote:

                > A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
                > I don't find serious information, using that name.
                > Can anybody help? Latin name unknown
                > <
                >
                > What country did your friend send the cuttings from (just in case it is the country of origin) ? There are "Pomegranates" from Australia for example.
                >
                > Matt

              • Sara Elbrai
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                  I suspect it's just a pomegranate that has fruit with black skin. Most black skined pomegranates have small fruit and don't taste that great either.

                  Sara

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                    By some accident an Eastern Mediterranrean "black" Pomegranate (Punica granatum var. Roman Eswed ( or Kara-Nar )) has become the healing Pomegranate - presumably because ordinary Pomegranates are fairly cheap and common.

                    This variety ( or varieties ) has thinner skin and a more acid taste than typical, shop bought fruit, and is said to have healing properties in the regions of origin ( most plants do ).

                    It is an interesting ornamental plant and may be less sour if left to ripen longer on the tree ( or may not :)
                    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/oct04/Pome.jpg

                    "Black", as usual with plants, is really a rather nice dark purple.

                    Matt

                    Matthew Sleigh
                    P-2, North Poblacion
                    Don Carlos, Bukidnon
                    8712
                    Philippines

                    Matthew Sleigh
                    B and T World Seeds
                    Paguignan
                    34210 Aigues-Vives
                    France
                    matthew@...
                    http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
                    fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

                    I suspect it's just a pomegranate that has fruit with black skin. Most black skined pomegranates have small fruit and don't taste that great either.

                    Sara

                    > A friend sent me some cuttings from black pomegranate.
                    > I don't find serious information, using that name.
                    > Can anybody help? Latin name unknown

                    Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    To change settings via email:
                    mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Village
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Hallo Matt,

                      Cuttings came from Israel, and I suppose that my friend there has Russian
                      roots.

                      Nine of ten cuttings woke up already ! I am very happy, because according to
                      the before mentioned book, they are frost friendly! Hurrah thus !!!

                      Vriendelijke groeten,

                    • Village
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                        Hallo Ludwig,

                        In Kirkuk Kurdistan, I worked one year to supervise Turkish subcontractors
                        while erecting aeroplane hangars for the Iraqi Air Force. Also in Baghdad
                        and in Southern Iraq, we had several Turkish, as well as Turk Mani
                        subcontractors. I stayed and lived with them, only sometimes going to
                        headquarters Baghdad every two weeks. I had an excellent relation as well
                        with the engineers as with the workers, so their friendliness has few
                        secrets to me.

                        The black pomegranates are a present from heaven to me, as also we consumed
                        a lot of it in Iraq. Probably they will be planted on my "Nieuw Struweel" in
                        Flanders, Mortsel.

                        Vriendelijke groeten,

                        Leo

                      • Village
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                          Thanks a lot Gail !!!

                          This book is really revealing and a great resource!

                          Strange that there seems no Latin botanical name for the species? ?

                          Vriendelijke groeten,

                        • Gail Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                            Not being able to find the botanical name for the "black" pomegranate was puzzling me, so I did some more research.
                            Deep-purple colors in the plant kingdom are often called "black".  Low temperatures can often turn leaves a dark, purplish color, also, and possibly fruit (this could have happened to the "black" pomegranate).  But I found some more information that is more likely the "black" pomegranate:
                            On the list of cultivars of Punica granatum L. (at http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html) are:
                            Wonderful
                            Originated in Florida. First propagated in California in 1896. Large, deep purple-red fruit. Rind medium thick, tough. Flesh deep crimson in color, juicy and of a delicious vinous flavor. Seeds not very hard. Better for juicing than for eating out of hand. Plant is vigorous and productive. Leading commercial variety in California.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 9, 2009
                              Good job, Matt.
                              Gail

[...]

                              http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/
                              fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

                              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pfaf/ join

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
                                Wonderful is not a black pomegranate.

                                There are real black pomegranates in the middle east/central Asia, a few in Israel and a few in the US. All have smallish fruit that I know of.

                                Sara