Re: [pfaf] Fermentation of Gerasole Artichoke

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      Take away the fungus growth
      If the result you have beneath is tasting "fresh" - OK acidity,
      then it should be OK to eat, if not
      any nasty rotten atste / smell - throw it away,
      and try again.

      From what you write a few things might have been made wrong !
      The tubers have to be minced / finely chopped.
      If you use only Topinambur / Jerusalem Artichoces you will need to supply /
      infect the mass with Lactic acid bacteria culture, and to be sure some salt
      ( NaCl)..
      If you use half cabbage, that should not be necessary, because it have
      lactic acid bacteria on..

      http://www.wildfermentation.com/ is a very good source of information.
      The "mass" should stay beneath water level and "air tight", to not let
      oxygen in, but let fermentig gas get out.

      Geir Flatabø

      2009/2/2 rambansal48 <rambansal48@...>

      > To all friends at Pfaf,
      > On an advice from this group about 15 days back, I put clean artichokes
      > dipped in water, and added a little bit of natural vinegar in it. Now
      > after about 15 days, I found a grey fungus deposit on the surface of
      > the contents, all noddes of artichoke rising up from the bottom of the
      > water, and the water turned to creamish yellow color. I would like to
      > know from my learned friends -
      > 1. Whether it is safe to take the liquid for gas problems, inspite of
      > the fungus growth on surface ?
      > 2. What next I should do ?
      > 3. For how long, I must wait for a full fermentation of the contents ?
      > Ram Bansal, the Theosoph

    • maartendeprez
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
        > dipped in water, and added a little bit of natural vinegar in it. Now
        > after about 15 days, I found a grey fungus deposit on the surface of
        > the contents, all noddes of artichoke rising up from the bottom of the
        > water, and the water turned to creamish yellow color.

        This doesn't sound like it right to me. I think it's safer to toss it
        and try again. I agree with Geir on adding cabbage for bacteria
        supply. Also, for this kind of fermentation, make sure the fermenting
        stuff remains below water level. Placing a plastic bag filled with
        water on top is an easy solution. Anything coming in contact with the
        air will usually turn bad, at least if there's not a lot of salt in.

        Good luck,
        Maarten
      • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
          Funny, I've never had excessive flatulence from eating Helianthus tuberosus, I probably mostly have it as soup and with parsley - maybe that makes a difference. Also, I eat a very varied diet, so perhaps my internal flora and fauna are pretty diverse too.

          Good luck :)
          Matt

          > dipped in water, and added a little bit of natural vinegar in it. Now
          > after about 15 days, I found a grey fungus deposit on the surface of
          > the contents, all noddes of artichoke rising up from the bottom of the
          > water, and the water turned to creamish yellow color.

          This doesn't sound like it right to me. I think it's safer to toss it
          and try again. I agree with Geir on adding cabbage for bacteria
          supply. Also, for this kind of fermentation, make sure the fermenting
          stuff remains below water level. Placing a plastic bag filled with
          water on top is an easy solution. Anything coming in contact with the
          air will usually turn bad, at least if there's not a lot of salt in.

          Good luck,
          Maarten

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hi everyone,

            Adding on to Maarten's and Geir's comments, a plate with something heavy on
            it (like a brick in a bag) will work, too, to keep the ingredients below the
            brine (or whatever your solution is). Make sure your plate is slightly
            smaller than your crock (container) beforehand.

            Also, I said this once earlier in the thread, but grape (or oak) leaves are
            used in some recipes to keep pickles crisp. This may also have some effect
            on the properties of the ingredients.

            Take care,

            Steve.