Re: [pfaf] propelled by gas

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2009
      Reason for gas production is Inulin, a carbohydrate you are unable to
      digest,
      and also called FOS , is a nutrient for both symbiotic, probiotics in gut,
      as well as som gas producing indifferent and some disease producing
      bacterie, eg Clostridia..

      If there is a herb useful for that job, to pick out only the gas producing
      bacteria I guess that does not exist, but some more broad spectrum killers
      like Oregano oil might do the job.

      Commercially there are sold enzymes that can digest / break down inulin.
      They might help, although they are not plant based, but rather microbial
      produced...

      Also most inulin eaters experience that the gas production diminishes over
      time if you use som Girasole - artichoces more regularly, and / or
      supply your gut with lots of non gas producing probiotics and / or
      you ferment the artichoces before you eat them --
      but then they are no longer sweet, rather the opposite.....

      Geir Flatabø

      2009/1/16 Mary Lloyd <mary@...>

      > Hi everyone,
      > Is there any substance of plant origin that will counteract the
      > intestinal gas you get from Jerusalem artichokes?
      > I dug mine up recently and they taste divine! Today I only sampled
      > one and it was sweet and crunchy, slightly spicy.....
      > .....BUT....within an hour or so the gas started, and they are not
      > polite innocent emissions, but so bad I have had to leave the house for a
      > walk in the garden...at least I may have scared the crows lol.
      > PLEASE someone tell me what to do!
      > Love, Whinnie

    • Dee Harris
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2009
        Fennel and brown cider vinegar both are known for their antibactrial properties as well as reducing stomach and intestinal gas.
        Wolf

        2009/1/16 Mary Lloyd <mary@latter- rain.com>

        > Hi everyone,
        > Is there any substance of plant origin that will counteract the
        > intestinal gas you get from Jerusalem artichokes?
        > I dug mine up recently and they taste divine! Today I only sampled
        > one and it was sweet and crunchy, slightly spicy.....
        > .....BUT.... within an hour or so the gas started, and they are not
        > polite innocent emissions, but so bad I have had to leave the house for a
        > walk in the garden...at least I may have scared the crows lol.
        > PLEASE someone tell me what to do!
        > Love, Whinnie

      • rambansal48
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2009
          Dear Sir,
          I have got athis valuable piece of information from you. Thanks for
          the same. Further I would like to know how to ferment Girasole
          Artichoke for eating round the year. I have a lot of G. artichoke
          grown in my garden, which is still underground for preservation
          purposes. Your guidance in this regarded will help me a lot.

          Yours faithfully
          Ram Bansal

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

          > Fennel and brown cider vinegar both are known for their
          antibactrial properties as well as reducing stomach and intestinal
          gas.
          > Wolf

        • Johanna Knox
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
            Hi Whinnie - epazote is a herb that's supposed to be good (in bean dishes at
            least) for reducing wind ...

            Wonder if it would work with Jerusalem artchokes?

            Best
            Johanna

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2009
              Do a web source for
              sauerkraut

              the "how to do" is the same as with sauerkraut,
              and the safest way is the first times to try with > 50 % cabbage mixed with
              Jerusalem artichoke - topinambur---

              In short-
              chop the vegetable ( Cabbage or artichoke) finely,
              put it in at clean container that have the possibility to keep out air,
              there are special container for that use with a "water lock"

              With cabbage no probiotics is necessary to supply to the mix as it always
              contain Lactobacillus plantarum,
              but with only Artichoke I would mix in some kind of probiotic like "Vita
              Biosa".
              Salt 1 - 2 % could also be mixed in that will ensure a safer lactic acid
              fermentation, and will make the product less acid and more salty.

              Make som pressure to the chopped vegetael in the container, if necessary put
              into some water or juice, to be sure all air is kept out / the vegetable is
              beneath water / fluid surface.
              Then cover the jar / cotainer, let stand in room temperature til it hars
              finished fermenting "bubbling". After that it is ready for use - keep in a
              cold storage place, preferably put into smaller jars...
              If success this can keep for years like wine..
              Can be done with any vegetable... and is good for your stomach.

              one link in Norwegian:/
              www.varvei.no/wsp/varvei/frontend.cgi?session=50237cea1113c653159ba45d624cc2&func=publish.show&func_id=1428&table=CONTENT

            • Mary Lloyd
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2009
                Hello all, many thanks for all your suggestions. I really could get fond of the vegetable and apart from the gas there is no other side effect. If someone tells me that artichoke soup is only for really good friends, I will know what they mean!

                I located some epazote online, so I might try that for gas reduction. But besides that, I don't want to subject the roots to any process which would change their delightful texture raw: it is way too good.

                Geir mentioned the inulin: is that a polysaccharide, or what kind of a compound?

                Thanks and love
                Whinnie

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 18, 2009
                  Inulin is "Polyfructose " like