Re: Amaranth variety suitable for cultivation in North of England

  • maartendeprez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2009
      > Has anyone any info if Amaranth can be grown in north of England?

      Even here, in Belgium, it seems to need a long summer. Last year I had
      very tall amaranths without much seed production, and this year, other
      varieties grew much less tall, also with no more than a little seed.
      The least that can be said, is that you would probably need a warm and
      bright spot, and some luck with the weather.

      Good luck.

      Maarten
    • nerdnooky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
        Hi Maarten,

        How about growing amaranth in an enclosed space, such as plastic or
        remay wrapped squares of 5' or so? Or, what about next to a heat sink -
        -a brick/stone wall? Do they need more heat or light or both than
        other plants to take off? Earlier planting?