Amaranth variety suitable for cultivation in North of England

  • r_dillon29
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2009
      Hi,
      Has anyone any info if Amaranth can be grown in north of England?
    • maartendeprez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2009
        > Has anyone any info if Amaranth can be grown in north of England?

        Even here, in Belgium, it seems to need a long summer. Last year I had
        very tall amaranths without much seed production, and this year, other
        varieties grew much less tall, also with no more than a little seed.
        The least that can be said, is that you would probably need a warm and
        bright spot, and some luck with the weather.

        Good luck.

        Maarten
      • nerdnooky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi Maarten,

          How about growing amaranth in an enclosed space, such as plastic or
          remay wrapped squares of 5' or so? Or, what about next to a heat sink -
          -a brick/stone wall? Do they need more heat or light or both than
          other plants to take off? Earlier planting?