ebony properties

  • Mary Lloyd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hi all, and a happy new year.
      Does anyone know if Ebony is harmful if you breathe the dust?
      My son is making a guitar and was sanding a piece for the neck which is made of Ebony. Some of the dust went up his nose and he said it stung, and then he said he felt a little lightheaded afterwards.
      You guys on here seem to have this kind of info. Grateful if you would let me know.
      Love, Whinnie

    • Rob & Natsuko McMahon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
        Hi Mary,

        Most woods and tropical hard woods in particular are toxic. I am a wood worker and have experienced several reactions from working with hardwoods. This is one of the ways woods protect themselves from all the microbes that are out there trying to digest them.

        Rob in hokkaido Japan

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
          Björn Hausen: Woods injurious to Human Halth A Manual. ; de Gruyter NY
          1981. ISBN 3 11 008485 6

          says about Diospyros ebenum -- Eczematous reactions have ben described,
          Very severe irritation of the nose mucous membranes. Caustive agents
          Quinones and biquinones. Book listeing 10 different quiones from diospyros
          spp.

          Geir Flatabø

          2009/1/13 Rob & Natsuko McMahon <mckuma3@...>

          > Hi Mary,
          >
          > Most woods and tropical hard woods in particular are toxic. I am a wood
          > worker and have experienced several reactions from working with hardwoods.
          > This is one of the ways woods protect themselves from all the microbes that
          > are out there trying to digest them.
          >
          > Rob in hokkaido Japan

        • Dee Harris
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
            It's also a good thing to wear a mask when sanding any kind of wood. Some people suffer from allergies and the dust can set off severe allergic reactions.
            I've worked with different kinds of woods when refinishing furniture and I had to learn the hard way to always wear a mask.
            Wolf

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
              Thanks all for the info. It was useful to be able to pass it on to my son.

              Apart from guitar-making, one of his hobbies is growing chillies, and he is successful if he can get off to an early enough start. If we have enough of them, he makes an excellent kind of hot passata: tomatoes chillies and onions together in a sauce which keeps in the fridge for ages.

              Missed the chillies last year, and the tomatoes were late and then blighted because the whole of August was dark and wet.

              Lets hope for a good year folks on all our growing plans.

              Blessings and love,