Re: New Year's Resolution

  • sustain_ability@123mail.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hello Griselda,

      The area is the pre-Cambrian Canadian shield, geologically speaking, in
      Central Canada (Quebec). The existing vegetation is mainly conifers with
      deciduous trees favouring the southern slopes.

      The surface area is about 14 acres. The arable land is about 2.8 acres.
      The original settlers (over 60 years ago) had small livestock, chickens
      and ducks. I'm guessing there was one family of five people in the
      pre-Permaculture era.

      The location has also become increasingly 'closer' to the growing urban
      areas of the region. One good side to this is that there are more people
      with which to barter/trade. On the negative, the downstream water might
      not be as clean as before.

      (There's a closely guarded 'secretive' aquaponics commercial enterprise
      located in the region. It specializes in greenhouse raised cold water
      trout. These are served fresh-broiled in the adjacent restaurant or sold
      as a smoked delicacy to bussed-in tourists. I mention this also because
      the owners spent 10 years developing this enterprise before it became
      viable.)

      Hope that helps,
      Sustain