[Fwd: organic gardening mag]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      Anyone got any useful ideas on this:

      Ang <ang@...> wrote:

      Dear PFAF

      I subscribe to the Organic Gardening Magazine and was surprised to
      find an
      article in the latest edition claiming that it is not possible to farm
      organically without the use of animal manures - leading the author to
      conclude that being veggie (he states that being vegan strikes him as
      "unnatural"! - I already have plenty of ammunition to answer that one)
      and organic isn't truly possible. He claims it not possible to provide
      enough nitrogen without animal manure and urine.

      I intend to reply to the article and am looking for a bit of info. You
      may feel moved to write to the mag yourselves.

      I garden on a small scale both vegan and organically - but realise that
      farming on a much bigger scale would be quite a different matter.

      Am I correct in thinking that PFAF is both vegan and organic?

      If so I'm sure you'll be able to answer the question of how to provide a
      plentiful supply of non-animal nitrogen?

      Thanks for your help in this matter.

      Regards

      Angela Roberts

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2003
        Hiya,

        > conclude that being veggie ... and organic isn't truly possible. He
        > claims it not possible to provide enough nitrogen without animal
        > manure and urine.

        Well, obvious first point is that vegan-organic _doesn't_ mean
        growing without animal manure and urine! It means _not exploiting
        domesticated animals_ for their nitrogen - of course, the animals in
        the wild, part of the thriving ecology, will provide their manure and
        urine as part of their natural life cycles.

        The other obvious point is that animals don't fix nitrogen -
        bacteria fix nitrogen! There are a wide range of plants which grow
        symbiotically with such bacteria, of course.

        Have you been in contact with the Vegan-Organic Network about
        this article and topic? See www.veganorganic.net when the web-page is
        working...

        I look forward to reading your letter!

        Thanks,