Re: Another Nut Tree give away, free postage!!! (UK only please - sorry)

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      I really don't know Ludwig, you really are going to have to research
      that yourself please! Off the top of my head, I would say that the
      summers are generally to short and cold to produce a crop of nuts.
      However, of course we don't know what the climate is going to be in
      20 years let alone 50 so it might be worth growing and they might
      grow well as trees even if they don't fruit in current climate. I
      think I should send you some.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Ludd <the_pooh_way@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim,
      > Are there any nut trees in this list that wouldn't mind living on
      the
      > west coast of Scotland?
      > If so I'd love to have some.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Ludwig
      > P.s. 150 an ounce, you must be kidding, it's 280 here!
      >
      > (needless to say I can't afford such a piss take)
      >

      > Jim wrote:
      > > Hi.
      > >
      > > I have some of the following seedling trees to share:
      > >
      > > Hican (Burton) - a few
      > > Shagbark Hickory (Neilson) - quite a lot
      > > Pinus pinea - some
      > > Walnut (combe) - few
      > > Pecan (improved, from Schumachers)
      > >
      > > Give me an email please if you would like some. Make sure that
      you
      > > have the safe space and sufficient area to plant them out
      > > please...and please read up on cultural requirement etc. I think
      > > tubes and mulching are appropriate for the non pine trees...so
      you
      > > can find them easily, so they have extra heat, protected from
      rabbits
      > > and strimmers, speed up initial growth so wont get shaded out.
      Mulch
      > > gives them soil growing space, moisture, fertility and cuts out
      > > immediate competition from other plants. The Hican, Hickory and
      Pecan