Another Nut Tree give away, free postage!!! (UK only please - sorry)

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi.

      I have some of the following seedling trees to share:

      Hican (Burton) - a few
      Shagbark Hickory (Neilson) - quite a lot
      Pinus pinea - some
      Walnut (combe) - few
      Pecan (improved, from Schumachers)

      Give me an email please if you would like some. Make sure that you
      have the safe space and sufficient area to plant them out
      please...and please read up on cultural requirement etc. I think
      tubes and mulching are appropriate for the non pine trees...so you
      can find them easily, so they have extra heat, protected from rabbits
      and strimmers, speed up initial growth so wont get shaded out. Mulch
      gives them soil growing space, moisture, fertility and cuts out
      immediate competition from other plants. The Hican, Hickory and Pecan
      have long tap roots and need to be planted out this winter. The
      Walnut and Pine can be grown on in pots. Hican and Hickory are small
      nuts rather than bulk food productivity...but I would say worth
      having a couple or so in a food forestry project. Hican, Hickory,
      Pecan and Pinus pinea are slow to get going.
    • Ludd
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
        Hi Jim,
        Are there any nut trees in this list that wouldn't mind living on the
        west coast of Scotland?
        If so I'd love to have some.

        Thanks
        Ludwig
        P.s. 150 an ounce, you must be kidding, it's 280 here!

        (needless to say I can't afford such a piss take)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          I really don't know Ludwig, you really are going to have to research
          that yourself please! Off the top of my head, I would say that the
          summers are generally to short and cold to produce a crop of nuts.
          However, of course we don't know what the climate is going to be in
          20 years let alone 50 so it might be worth growing and they might
          grow well as trees even if they don't fruit in current climate. I
          think I should send you some.