Great Nut give-away

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2008
      I have black walnuts I can give to people in the US. They are just too
      blasted big to send out of the country! I am planning to plant a few. Any
      advice on planting black walnuts? The depth is as deep as the seed, most of
      the time.

      --
      Charlotte Fairchild Liphart
      USA

    • greenman3220
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2008
        Greetings,

        I too am planting black walnut - usually with the husk, some volunteers
        have come up just from being mashed into soft soil by tractor tire.

        http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD0505.html
        <http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD0505.html>

        Walnut seeds require stratification (cold treatment) before they will
        germinate. Small quantities of nuts can be stratified in a plastic bag
        in a refrigerator at 34 to 41° Fahrenheit for 90 to 120 days. To
        stratify large numbers of walnuts for spring planting, dig a pit, spread
        out the nuts, and cover them with 1 to 2 feet of sand, leaves, or mulch.
        Cover the pit with screening to keep out rodents.
        When the ground thaws in spring, dig up the nuts and plant 1 to 2 inches
        deep in the prepared site. Plant two nuts at each planting spot. About
        half the nuts will germinate in four to five weeks.....

        http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_2/juglans/nigra.\
        htm
        <http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_2/juglans/nigra\
        .htm>
        http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00304.htm
        <http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00304.htm>

        http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/14704
        <http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/14704>
        Title: Effect of seed position and media on germination of black walnut
        and northern red oak: implications for nursery production and direct
        seeding
        .......Recommended techniques for germination of black walnut are labor
        intensive and require that walnuts be completely covered with growing
        media, periodically removed, and rinsed to identify germination prior to
        excessive elongation of the radicle. The purpose of this study was to
        determine if immersing 50% of a walnut into the soil such that the
        germinating radicle could be readily observed?.........

        I also plan to try air layering in Spring.

        Good luck :)

        Granger - NW GA USA - Zone 7a

        .
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "charfair fairchar" <FertilityFair@...>
        wrote:

        > I have black walnuts I can give to people in the US. They are just too
        > blasted big to send out of the country! I am planning to plant a few.
        Any
        > advice on planting black walnuts? The depth is as deep as the seed,
        most of
        > the time.
        >
        > --
        > Charlotte Fairchild Liphart
        > USA

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
          wrote:

          > I have black walnuts I can give to people in the US. They are just too
          > blasted big to send out of the country! I am planning to plant a few.
          Any
          > advice on planting black walnuts? The depth is as deep as the seed,
          most of
          > the time.

        • Dee Harris
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
            Jim, I really wish I had a place to plant some black walnuts. Unfortunately I live in an apartment that would make it very difficult to plant them.
            Wolf

            > I have black walnuts I can give to people in the US. They are just too
            > blasted big to send out of the country! I am planning to plant a few.
            Any
            > advice on planting black walnuts? The depth is as deep as the seed,
            most of
            > the time.

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pfaf/ database? method=reportRow s&tbl=1

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
              for sure..only way you could do it is somewhere else

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

              > Jim, I really wish I had a place to plant some black walnuts.
              Unfortunately I live in an apartment that would make it very
              difficult to plant them.
              > Wolf

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
                ..or move home

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

                > Jim, I really wish I had a place to plant some black walnuts.
                Unfortunately I live in an apartment that would make it very
                difficult to plant them.
                > Wolf

              • Dee Harris
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
                  My Friend, if I had the money right at this instant, I would do that in a heart beat. The thing is that I wouldn't go back to Oklahoma, but to upper state New York. That is the safest area right now.
                  Wolf

                  > Jim, I really wish I had a place to plant some black walnuts.
                  Unfortunately I live in an apartment that would make it very
                  difficult to plant them.
                  > Wolf

                • anjaleck
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
                    Hi, Charlotte,

                    I would love to get some black walnuts if you still have any. I don't
                    know where in the country you are, but I'm in Texas. I also have a few
                    bur oak acorns (very few) if you are interested in a trade.

                    Please let me know, K? And let me know what I need to do to as far as
                    getting the black walnuts (again, if you still have any).

                    Thanks and hugs,
                    Anj