World Record Diverse Salad

  • Stephen Barstow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2003
      Ken and Richard

      Just like to say how much I have appreciated the PFAF site and Ken Fern and Richard Morris' efforts. He won't remember me, but Ken kindly sent me some Quinoa seed (Dave) back in around 1989-1990 following an article in HDRA's member's magazine. I still grow Dave and have gradually built up a large collection of edible plants here not far south of the arctic circle in Norway (Malvik, near Trondheim - anyone taking the coastal steamer along the Norwegian coast passes nearby). We now have well over 1500 different useful plants of which over 1,000 are edible.

      On Sunday we have an open day as part of a national organic gardening day. To get publicity, we will once more be attempting the unofficial world record in salad diversity. We are preparing a salad this time with, hopefully, over 500 different plant varieties (the previous unchallenged record was from the equivalent day two years ago - the recipe can be found here: http://www.ediblewild.com/stevesalad.html ).

      By the way, Guinness weren't interested and told us to try and make the largest salad of one sort (lettuce was suggested) !!!!!!

      What we need is an alternative record book supporting diversity rather than greed (an organic beer brewer?)

      Thanks again for your help.

      Steve Barstow

      P.S. Let me know if I can do anything in return......