Re: apple cuttings & OWN ROOT APPLES

  • Bryn Thomas
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
      2 web sites that list main UK apple rootstocks:
      http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/rootstocks.aspx?fruittype=0
      http://www.brogdale.org/chooserootstock.html
      Surprisingly brogadale don't list MM111, an excellent rootstock in my limited experience
    • Bryn Thomas
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
        Hi Whinnie

        I'm sure you are aware of this, but just in case...
        Most apples are grafted & so root cuttings will be of the rootstock not the variety & will be completely different. If however the tree is already growing on its own roots its root cutting babbies will probably reach the same size!

        Bryn
      • Mary Lloyd
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 15, 2008
          Thank you Bryn!
          I am taking a chance that it isn't grafted as it is quite an old tree. But also will try to do some normal grafting from it onto another tree we already have, just to make sure we get the fruit. It really is a wonderful flavour, looking and smelling like quince, and golden yellow, but tasting like a highly aromatic apple. I passed the tree the other day and there is fruit still on the parent even in this freezing weather, but no leaves left. Seems unusual.
          Nice to hear from you.
          Love, Whinnie
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 16, 2008
            Hi Whinnie, don't hit me on the head for this but are you sure it
            isn't actually a quince? It sounds like one.
            Munching apples and quinces here in Kent,
            Griselda

            On 16 Dec 2008, at 00:29, Mary Lloyd wrote:

            > Thank you Bryn!
            > I am taking a chance that it isn't grafted as it is quite an old
            > tree. But also will try to do some normal grafting from it onto
            > another tree we already have, just to make sure we get the fruit.
            > It really is a wonderful flavour, looking and smelling like quince,
            > and golden yellow, but tasting like a highly aromatic apple. I
            > passed the tree the other day and there is fruit still on the
            > parent even in this freezing weather, but no leaves left. Seems
            > unusual.
            > Nice to hear from you.
            > Love, Whinnie

            The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
            that they are so good for you they could save your life.
            By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
            2003
            Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
            The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
            peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
            tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
            (no gluten).
            and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
            Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
            Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
            Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

          • Mary Lloyd
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 16, 2008
              Hi Griselda!
              Yes, I am sure it isn't a quince. My sister grows quinces and sends me some every year, and they have different taste, not really something you would sink your teeth into! Also they have that fluffy downy stuff on the outside, which these apples don't: their skins are thin and progressively waxy in keeping.
              The flavour of this is like the most superb cooking apple, deeply aromatic and far superior to Bramley. It is tart but not bitter in the slightest, and becomes rich with the adding of sugar. The texture is not so apt to fluff up in the cooking as Bramley is, it holds its shape. But it is juicy and soft and not in the slightest chewy or grainy.
              Now I am getting hungry, haha.
              If I have some success with this I will let you know!
              Happy Christmas everyone.
              Love, Whinnie

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 19, 2008
                A further note. Probably 99.99% of apple trees are grafted, which has been common practice since before Roman times. Exceptions are apples grown from seed [most of which dont give good fruit] or trees that have managed to put down roots from the trunk or branches cos they fallen over or the ground level has changed.

                Bryn
              • Bryn Thomas
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 19, 2008