Re: 5 acre meadow planted with fruituing and nutting trees

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hi Jim

      I felt similarly to Rich about the grid arrangement. Not just from the point
      of view of aesthetics, but also that spreading out your similar varieties (I
      see peach, almond, almond, nectarine, apricot in close proximity) may help
      prevent pests which target one genus. or family.
      Perhaps a north-south oriented cross with your chestnuts as the points of
      the compass, then the alternating mid-points (NE, SE, SW, NW) could be your
      peaches and almonds...this could give you a nice circular feature.
      Or use your oaks and hawthornes as part of a windbreak.. In the end it's
      hard to get an idea from a white sheet.. is there a slope involved? perhaps
      towards the "v. wet" spot?

      I'm envious of your 5 acres..

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "Look beyond complexion and see community.."
      Maya Angelou

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2008
        Nice but cold this time of the year.

        Its not a grid formation but staggared rows by the way...mm yes, I
        would do cosmic patterns for even an acre forest garden, but the idea
        in my head for this meadow was to cut the hay etc by tractor
        somtimes, the area being too large to hand cut...that why the rows.
        Same species cultivars are placed together for reasons of cross
        fertilisation (very crucial with some species). Its basically a
        fruiting and nutting arboretum on species rich meadow, which will be
        developed more as such with hay cut in mid August to allow flower
        setting. Hopefully there will be a decent crop of fruits and nuts for
        people to gorge on in years to come...and in 'real world' terms, a
        from spring to autumn selection of fruits and nuts to sell at farmers
        markets. But this was the 'playing' planting scheme - a rich mans
        foible. The next field which I already have my eye on, will be more
        commercialy planted maybe. Its quite wet though...so that might rule
        out walnuts unfortunatly, one of my favourite nuts. On the other hand
        why bother. The (next) area of land would require some dodgy dealing
        and thus is panicy and fearsome due to current economic situation.

        Hope you all are getting limbered up for the feastivities. I know I
        am, haha. Yes, it sure would be a blessing to be able to encompass
        cannabis into the forest garden inputs and outputs.

        Blessings!

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Steve <permalove@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jim
        >
        > I felt similarly to Rich about the grid arrangement. Not just from
        the point
        > of view of aesthetics, but also that spreading out your similar
        varieties (I
        > see peach, almond, almond, nectarine, apricot in close proximity)
        may help
        > prevent pests which target one genus. or family.
        > Perhaps a north-south oriented cross with your chestnuts as the
        points of
        > the compass, then the alternating mid-points (NE, SE, SW, NW) could
        be your
        > peaches and almonds...this could give you a nice circular feature.
        > Or use your oaks and hawthornes as part of a windbreak.. In the end
        it's
        > hard to get an idea from a white sheet.. is there a slope
        involved? perhaps
        > towards the "v. wet" spot?
        >
        > I'm envious of your 5 acres..
        >
        > Peace,
        >
        > Steve.
        >

        > --
        > "Look beyond complexion and see community.."
        > Maya Angelou

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
          I have just removed the almonds - read in the The Ultimate Fruit and
          Nut Guide (Exploring Woodland) by Susanna Lyle that cross
          fertilisation between almonds and peachs can make for bitter almonds!

          Dunno what it does for the peaches.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Steve <permalove@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jim
          >
          > I felt similarly to Rich about the grid arrangement. Not just from
          the point
          > of view of aesthetics, but also that spreading out your similar
          varieties (I
          > see peach, almond, almond, nectarine, apricot in close proximity)
          may help
          > prevent pests which target one genus. or family.
          > Perhaps a north-south oriented cross with your chestnuts as the
          points of
          > the compass, then the alternating mid-points (NE, SE, SW, NW) could
          be your
          > peaches and almonds...this could give you a nice circular feature.
          > Or use your oaks and hawthornes as part of a windbreak.. In the end
          it's
          > hard to get an idea from a white sheet.. is there a slope
          involved? perhaps
          > towards the "v. wet" spot?
          >
          > I'm envious of your 5 acres..
          >
          > Peace,
          >
          > Steve.
          >

          > --
          > "Look beyond complexion and see community.."
          > Maya Angelou

        • Sara Elbrai
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
            I would love to see a scientific explanation for that. It seems highly unlikely. I have both almonds and peaches growing next to each other and there seems to be no effect on the flavor of the almonds and certainly no bitterness.

            Here in California there is extensive study of almonds and no such pollenizer effect has been noted. In fact a European study has shown that pollenizers do not seem to affect almond flavor:

            http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1533391

            Sara

            > I have just removed the almonds - read in the The Ultimate
            > Fruit and
            > Nut Guide (Exploring Woodland) by Susanna Lyle that cross
            > fertilisation between almonds and peachs can make for
            > bitter almonds!
            >
            > Dunno what it does for the peaches.
            >

            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Steve <permalove@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jim
            > >
            > > I felt similarly to Rich about the grid arrangement.
            > Not just from
            > the point
            > > of view of aesthetics, but also that spreading out
            > your similar
            > varieties (I
            > > see peach, almond, almond, nectarine, apricot in close
            > proximity)
            > may help
            > > prevent pests which target one genus. or family.
            > > Perhaps a north-south oriented cross with your
            > chestnuts as the
            > points of
            > > the compass, then the alternating mid-points (NE, SE,
            > SW, NW) could
            > be your
            > > peaches and almonds...this could give you a nice
            > circular feature.
            > > Or use your oaks and hawthornes as part of a
            > windbreak.. In the end
            > it's
            > > hard to get an idea from a white sheet.. is there a
            > slope
            > involved? perhaps
            > > towards the "v. wet" spot?
            > >
            > > I'm envious of your 5 acres..
            > >
            > > Peace,
            > >
            > > Steve.
            > >

            > > --
            > > "Look beyond complexion and see community.."
            > > Maya Angelou

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
              don't worry I can believe it...theres so much bullshit in this field
              its unreal. I give up. Official.