Re: fruiting hedge

  • Erez Gur
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
      How about Pitanga (Eugenia uniflora).

      It gives lots of great tasting fruit and naturally likes to be a bush.
    • soslowcat
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
        Thankyou for all the replies to my post....some good ideas..I'll let
        you all know how we get on.
        regards
        Kim

        www.appleproject.org.uk

      • ariel023@inter.net.il
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Hi Erez Gur
          Are you from Israel?
          A few small scale Eugenia uniflora grafted plantations with the GITIT var were planted here
          Most were pulled out
          Ariel
          Israel
          052-2223209
          ‭‮

        • Robert Alcock
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2008
            Did anyone mention Eleagnus?
            The ART forest garden in Dartington, Devon has an Eleagnus (Autumn
            Olive) hedge running along the east of the site which fruits well and
            keeps the wind off the more sensitive plants.

            Robert

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "leokea" <leokeaerts@...> wrote:

            > I experiment for a usefull hedge some thorny fruits as Zyziphus
            > Jujube and mucronata, Dovyalis Caffra is also very nice growing now.
            > We are looking for any other kind of Dovyalis, especially the
            > abysinica and also the tropicla apricot from Florida.
            > Leo Flandriae---
            >
            > In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Griselda Mussett <griselda1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How low is low? How much of a hedge?
            > >
            > > You can have espaliered apples etc to whatever height you like but
            > > maybe that doesn't count as a hedge...
            > >
            > > Sloes and damsons thicken up very well but usually like to get to
            > at
            > > least 10 feet (3 metres) in height.
            > >
            > > Griselda
            > >

            > > On 29 Nov 2008, at 16:57, soslowcat wrote:
            > >
            > > > I want to plant a fruiting hedge to be kept quite low. Any ideas
            > or
            > > > experience out ther.
            > > >

            > > The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
            > > that they are so good for you they could save your life.
            > > By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October
            > 20,
            > > 2003
            > > Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and
            > grains.
            > > The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
            > > peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
            > > tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and
            > oats
            > > (no gluten).
            > > and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries,
            > Cranberries,
            > > Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
            > > Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
            > > Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

          • liz
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2008
              i realize problem plants can be very regional, but autumn olive (Eleagnus ) is a terrible pest here in northern michigan. planted as a wildlife food source and landscape plant, it has taken over rural areas to a frightening extent. for instance, fallow farm fields have taken off with a heavy cover of this plant within couple of years.
              thanks; this is a pet cause of mine.
              liz