5 acre meadow planted with fruituing and nutting trees - please comment

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      Didn't know how to put the plan up here other than in 2 parts, thus
      part 1:

      86/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

      and part2:

      9447/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

      I would appreciate knoledgeable or intuitivly accurate comments on
      the layout or anything, permaculture ideas included - I can change
      around the arrangement of trees quite easily. I tryed to plant with
      guild possibilities as regards the walnut - the Eleagnus and Apple.
      The sweet chestnut went along the botton because south is to the top
      of the plan and the field slopes downhill from top to bottom of the
      plan...thus this way they wouldn't shade anything else out.

      Thanks,

      Jim
    • Rich Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
        Jim wrote:

        > Didn't know how to put the plan up here other than in 2 parts, thus
        > part 1:

        > 86/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
        >
        > and part2:

        > 9447/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
        >
        > I would appreciate knoledgeable or intuitivly accurate comments on
        > the layout or anything, permaculture ideas included - I can change
        > around the arrangement of trees quite easily. I tryed to plant with
        > guild possibilities as regards the walnut - the Eleagnus and Apple.
        > The sweet chestnut went along the botton because south is to the top
        > of the plan and the field slopes downhill from top to bottom of the
        > plan...thus this way they wouldn't shade anything else out.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jim

        It does seem to be quite a regular grid. It does make maintanace easier
        but you won't get a natural a feel for the results.

        Rich

        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
          ...Read in ART's factsheets,

          https://secure.agroforestry.co.uk/publs2003.html

          ...that apple, in actual fact, is one of the species that is
          problematic with Juglans! So much for pulling seemingly knolegable
          stuff from the web!

          (now removed the relevent link from pfaf links)