A Newbie in Need

  • ben_slow
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2003
      Hi All,

      I just discovered the Pfaf website this week. Terrific site for
      research but not entirley what I'm searching for.
      Information Im after relates to edible plant species that can be
      grown in a tropical enviroment - that's ALL species that can be grown
      in that zone and not just a list of plants related to that
      zone/region.
      Is anyone aware of a resource, either book or (pref) web based that
      would enable me to view plants that can perform in a climate that
      averages 30 degree's year round and has 2 distint seasons - Hot and
      Dry and Hot and Wet/Humid - roughly a 50/50 split.

      The pfaf site enable me to search by 'Tropics' - but declares itself
      inaccurate in this area and by region - 'Central America' in my case,
      but does not enable me to fully appreciate all possible species that
      could be grown in this taxing enviroment.

      Any direction/advice would be appreciated,

      Thanks,

      Ben.
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2003
        > Information Im after relates to edible plant species
        > that can be
        > grown in a tropical enviroment - that's ALL species
        > that can be grown
        > in that zone and not just a list of plants related
        > to that
        > zone/region.
        > Is anyone aware of a resource, either book or (pref)
        > web based that
        > would enable me to view plants that can perform in a
        > climate that
        > averages 30 degree's year round and has 2 distint
        > seasons - Hot and
        > Dry and Hot and Wet/Humid - roughly a 50/50 split.

        There are a lot of (edible) plants that can be
        grown in the tropics and there are several good
        sources of info on the Net (but nothing like the
        PFAF database). I am currently working on an
        extension of the PFAF database for other climates
        (I�m trying to find some land in Portugal). Currently
        I can�t use my computer so I haven�t got all URLs
        here.

        Fruits of Warm Climates - Julia F. Morton
        http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/index.html

        This is on the �New Crop Resource Online Program�
        website: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/

        http://www.crfg.org the
        �California Rare Fruit Growers� website, again fruits.

        http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/searchgrin.html
        not much info but lots of plants.

        SEPASAL database http://ftp.rbgkew.org.uk/ceb/sepasal/
        : might
        be usefull but has some dodgy entries...

        Regards,
        Frank

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com