re: fruiting hedge

  • Clifford Cain
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      How about blackcurrants - planted at 3ft spacing produces bushes they
      will merge into one another. Pick your cultivars and you can have a
      good succession of fruit. Most grow to 4ft so ideal for the
      allotment. Also they are stocky bushes that will tolerate some
      knocking about.
      Regards
      Clifford
      Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
      http://www.fruitscape.co.uk
    • Erez Gur
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
        How about Pitanga (Eugenia uniflora).

        It gives lots of great tasting fruit and naturally likes to be a bush.
      • soslowcat
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Thankyou for all the replies to my post....some good ideas..I'll let
          you all know how we get on.
          regards
          Kim

          www.appleproject.org.uk

        • ariel023@inter.net.il
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            Hi Erez Gur
            Are you from Israel?
            A few small scale Eugenia uniflora grafted plantations with the GITIT var were planted here
            Most were pulled out
            Ariel
            Israel
            052-2223209
            ‭‮

          • Robert Alcock
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2008
              Did anyone mention Eleagnus?
              The ART forest garden in Dartington, Devon has an Eleagnus (Autumn
              Olive) hedge running along the east of the site which fruits well and
              keeps the wind off the more sensitive plants.

              Robert

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "leokea" <leokeaerts@...> wrote:

              > I experiment for a usefull hedge some thorny fruits as Zyziphus
              > Jujube and mucronata, Dovyalis Caffra is also very nice growing now.
              > We are looking for any other kind of Dovyalis, especially the
              > abysinica and also the tropicla apricot from Florida.
              > Leo Flandriae---
              >
              > In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Griselda Mussett <griselda1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > How low is low? How much of a hedge?
              > >
              > > You can have espaliered apples etc to whatever height you like but
              > > maybe that doesn't count as a hedge...
              > >
              > > Sloes and damsons thicken up very well but usually like to get to
              > at
              > > least 10 feet (3 metres) in height.
              > >
              > > Griselda
              > >

              > > On 29 Nov 2008, at 16:57, soslowcat wrote:
              > >
              > > > I want to plant a fruiting hedge to be kept quite low. Any ideas
              > or
              > > > experience out ther.
              > > >

              > > The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
              > > that they are so good for you they could save your life.
              > > By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October
              > 20,
              > > 2003
              > > Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and
              > grains.
              > > The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
              > > peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
              > > tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and
              > oats
              > > (no gluten).
              > > and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries,
              > Cranberries,
              > > Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
              > > Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
              > > Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

            • liz
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2008
                i realize problem plants can be very regional, but autumn olive (Eleagnus ) is a terrible pest here in northern michigan. planted as a wildlife food source and landscape plant, it has taken over rural areas to a frightening extent. for instance, fallow farm fields have taken off with a heavy cover of this plant within couple of years.
                thanks; this is a pet cause of mine.
                liz