Re: [pfaf] Monkey puzzle and sweet chestnut seeds for propogating

  • ewojcieszak
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Frank. I'm looking for a contact on monkey puzzle tree seeds.
      I've bought about 50 this past month with good germination success so
      far, but would love to have many, many more. Would you be open to an
      exchange? Please advise. Thanks, Eric in Wisconsin, USA.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "frank_bowman@..." <frank_bowman@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi. Yes its a good nutricious nut producer,like the swt chestnut
      its kept populations alive. Its the oldest pine,its prehistoric from
      the cambrian,when the dinoraurs were around. They used to be in
      scotland,u can find the black jet of them on whitby beach+on a beach
      in mid wales. Basic essentials r the essentials for living,all the
      rest of our technology gold jewelry,mobiles,ships,toothbrushes,tv!s
      are merely toys.xfrank

      > Infowolf1@... wrote:
      > > could anyone tell me what monkey puzzle is good for?
      > > it is a viciously thorny tree, the trunk is nothing to risk
      grabbing
      > > to lean on or stop a fall, and when a neighbor cut one down
      > > another sprouted in my yard and I finally got rid of it.
      > > In a message dated 10/28/2008 2:33:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight
      Time,
> [...]
      > > tree and plant growers on it.
      > > About myself and getting plants for free:
      > > Im developing a forest garden, on acres of land in North Wales,
      high up,
      > > (its only good for sheep, its said). I've planted all sorts of
      berries, black,
      > > white, red, raspberries, tayberries, thornless loganberries, sea
      buckthorn,
      > > japanese wineberries, willows, biofuel, basket, etc, bamboo,
      sweet chestnut,
      > > hazel, and the list goes on. I never bought them, I haven't got
      any money, I
      > > live simply, so mostly I've never bought any of the plants,
      apart from some
      > > fruit trees from cheap shops, they're good, gages and plums,
      pears, and apples,
      > > and I used our co-ops memberships money for that!, so I'm a real
      miserly
      > > cheapskate. I'm also a member of a forest garden co-op, so I can
      get cuttings etc
      > > from that garden, I've grown lots of trees from seeds, from the
      apples,
      > > plums, pears that I've eaten. I live in acres of land, so I've
      used growbags to
      > > propagate lots of trees, over the years. I just haven't got the
      money, and
      > > anyway why earn it to spend it, when you don't have to.
      > > I usually collect lots of hazels and sweet chestnuts, and grow
      thousands, as
      > > it doesn't take much time, and it's a good thing to do. It feels
      worthwhile.
      > > In the grow bag system, I've posted up.
      > > I want to expand this to grow lots of selections of free forest
      garden
      > > plants. I've only recently discovered that cobs and filberts are
      big high fruiting
      > > cultivated versions of the wild hazel, found in all the
      hedgerows. Im
      > > finding out so much, its exciting, & want to get hold of
      eliagnus's, and hardy
      > > kiwis, and ....
      > > Its much easier to do it for free, give them away for free,
      easier all
      > > round, as ones not causing people to have to time waste in paid
      work, and
      > > contribute to earth eating, plus I'm a very rich person, as I
      live a simple life, and
      > > get mostly everything for free. In the past, I've earned my
      little wad, paid
      > > for everything, house, land, solar, wind, wood, water and
      sewage, and that's
      > > it, I only need a few essentials. Only a few pounds a week to
      live a comfy
      > > good life. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone did that! And wouldn't
      it be nice
      > > if our forebears had, and left the house, land and everything
      else, so we
      > > didn't have to earn that wad! That would be even better.
      > > So this autumn, finds me with lots of sweet chestnuts, they're
      UK Northern
      > > fruiting ones, from North Wales, the trees fruit mostly every
      year, and I've
      > > got lots of monkey puzzle nuts, which I cant wait to get
      experimenting with
      > > growing, (Im going to try a few in the growbags, but all the
      info says you have
      > > to pierce them in the compost, like a dart) but there was a
      shortage of
      > > Hazels this year, so haven't got many of them. Otherwise I've
      got thousands and
      > > thousands, yippee!
      > > If you want some, and live in North Wales, get in touch for me
      to show you
      > > where to pick the Sweet Chestnuts from. If you want me to send
      you some, Ring
      > > or text me, (texting is best, as I haven't got a very good
      signal here) on
      > > 07706589090, and we shall arrange it then, by SAE. Seeds for
      Free no probs.
      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Voluntary_ simplicity ) and
      http://wwhttp: //www.simphttp: //wwwhttp: //www.http: //www_