Re: Blue potatoes

  • howigetby
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      Woops, my sister used my laptop while I was in Tucson, and forgot to
      logout of Yahoo. Sent my reply from her email by mistake. Don't know
      if it actually went thru or not since she isn't a member of this group.

      Anyway, in case it didn't, I am very familiar with the all blue (or
      purple) potatoes. I really enjoy them. They taste a little sweeter to
      me than the normal white fleshed ones.

      They make a really creamy mashed potato and they make a wonderful
      baked potato too because they never get mealy. Not so great for french
      fries because they are a soft potato (not mushy, just softer than the
      typical potato).

      Saved a few in the fridge from this summer to plant in the spring so I
      can have a many as I want in 2009. I have a hard time finding them in
      the grocery stores.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "mirakulu2003" <mirakulu2003@...> wrote:

      > Are these GMO potatoes?
      >
      > Peter Ellis wrote:
      >
      > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
      > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
      > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods before,
      > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
      > seen them before.

    • Margi
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
        Heck no. They are not GMO. I don't "do" GMO. There are all sorts of
        colorful potatoes that originated in Peru including these.

        ~margi

        mirakulu2003 wrote:

        > Are these GMO potatoes?
        >
        > Peter Ellis wrote:
        >
        > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
        > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
        > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods before,
        > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
        > seen them before.

      • Peter Ellis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          The message <ggva5v+p097@...>
          from "mirakulu2003" <mirakulu2003@...> contains these words:

          > Are these GMO potatoes?

          I don't thinks so. They seem to originate in Peru.

          Cheers

          Peter
        • Mat Coward
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
            I find some of the blue spuds very tasty - especially small ones, cooked whole in pies, where they hold their texture very well. Here in the UK you can buy "seed" of them very easily from several mail order sources. The colour does take a bit of getting used to, especially if you have them as mash - and of course, it's a bit tricky to tell when they've gone green!
            - Mat
            http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/matcoward/