Re: [pfaf] Re: Blue potatoes

  • Johanna Knox
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      These are heritage potatoes. Here in New Zealand, there are several
      varieties beginning to be grown commercially and also preserved through
      generations of families.

      I'm not quite sure where they came from, but Maori have cultivated them and
      preserved them here for over two centuries I believe, and the blue potatoes,
      along with other heritage potatoes, are known here in NZ as Maori potatoes.

      (They were either brought over by early European whalers, sealers, etc., or
      Maori brought them back from their own trips overseas or both.)

      The most well known blue potato here is urenika.

      Best
      Johanna

    • howigetby
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
        Woops, my sister used my laptop while I was in Tucson, and forgot to
        logout of Yahoo. Sent my reply from her email by mistake. Don't know
        if it actually went thru or not since she isn't a member of this group.

        Anyway, in case it didn't, I am very familiar with the all blue (or
        purple) potatoes. I really enjoy them. They taste a little sweeter to
        me than the normal white fleshed ones.

        They make a really creamy mashed potato and they make a wonderful
        baked potato too because they never get mealy. Not so great for french
        fries because they are a soft potato (not mushy, just softer than the
        typical potato).

        Saved a few in the fridge from this summer to plant in the spring so I
        can have a many as I want in 2009. I have a hard time finding them in
        the grocery stores.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "mirakulu2003" <mirakulu2003@...> wrote:

        > Are these GMO potatoes?
        >
        > Peter Ellis wrote:
        >
        > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
        > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
        > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods before,
        > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
        > seen them before.

      • howigetby
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
          No, not GMO. They are actually an heirloom variety.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "mirakulu2003" <mirakulu2003@...> wrote:

          > Are these GMO potatoes?
          >
          > Peter Ellis wrote:
          >
          > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
          > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
          > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods before,
          > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
          > seen them before.

        • Margi
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
            Heck no. They are not GMO. I don't "do" GMO. There are all sorts of
            colorful potatoes that originated in Peru including these.

            ~margi

            mirakulu2003 wrote:

            > Are these GMO potatoes?
            >
            > Peter Ellis wrote:
            >
            > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
            > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
            > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods before,
            > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
            > seen them before.

          • Peter Ellis
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              The message <ggva5v+p097@...>
              from "mirakulu2003" <mirakulu2003@...> contains these words:

              > Are these GMO potatoes?

              I don't thinks so. They seem to originate in Peru.

              Cheers

              Peter
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                They are not GMO, they are old varieties,
                and since fruiting might give new seedling offsprings.
                In Norway we have at least 4 varieties differing in the degree of coloring
                through the tuber,
                being the "blackest one" "Svart Valdres" also yealding the least, looking
                most primitive - elongated tubers with lots of deep eyes.
                The one grown commercially Blå Congo, is an early variety, also grown in
                Sweden.
                THey are blight susceptible, not easy to grow, but tasting OK.
                Especially OK to serve as "Mashed potatoes" in a childrens party...

                Ive tried a few red varieties without luck, much too disease sensitive...

                Geir Flatabø

                2008/12/1 Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...>

                > Yes, they are quite tasty. Some are quite old varieties like Edzell
                > (sp?) which has been around for about 100 years I think, named after
                > a place in Scotland. You can get black, blue and purple spuds as
                > well as red and white of course. We've been eating and growing these
                > for several years.
                > Griselda
                >

                > On 30 Nov 2008, at 22:29, Peter Ellis wrote:
                >
                > > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
                > > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
                > > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods
                > > before,
                > > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
                > > seen them before.
                > > Since they were locally produced, I think I might try growing some,
                > > although they apparently aren't noted particularly for flavour. One
                > > source reckoned they were high in antioxidants though.
                > > I was a bit surprised at finding them, as food colour is
                > > controversial.
                > > I recollect one university experiment where researchers used food dyes
                > > to colour common foods unusual colours, then tested demand by offering
                > > them to members of the public. Things like green hamburgers went down
                > > like a lead balloon!
                > > Googling also brought up red (as in red fleshed) potatoes and things
                > > like Yellow Finn, with suggestions for patriotically coloured dishes.
                > >
                > > Has anyone any experience of these?
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > Peter
                > >

                > The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                > that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                > By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
                > 2003
                > Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
                > The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                > peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                > tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
                > (no gluten).
                > and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
                > Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                > Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
                > Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

              • Mat Coward
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
                  I find some of the blue spuds very tasty - especially small ones, cooked whole in pies, where they hold their texture very well. Here in the UK you can buy "seed" of them very easily from several mail order sources. The colour does take a bit of getting used to, especially if you have them as mash - and of course, it's a bit tricky to tell when they've gone green!
                  - Mat
                  http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/matcoward/