Re: [pfaf] Re: fruiting hedge - Suggested plants.

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2008
      Dear Leo,

      I do not think Zizyphus jujube can make a fruiting hedge. This plant is a tree and cannot be trained into a hedge. I have never seen it anywhere.

      We have Z. rotundifolia in India. This is a small bush with very hard and sharp thorns. This is used as a live fence in India by farmers. But I do not think that it will respond to pruning. Otherwise it is a very effective fence.

      The other fruits which make or can make good fruiting hedges are:

      Carissa carandas
      http://www.fruitipedia.com/karaunda.htm

      Carissa bispinosa
      http://www.fruitipedia.com/num-num%20Carissa%20bisoinosa.htm

      Carissa macrocarpa
      http://www.fruitipedia.com/natal_plum.htm

      Carissa spinarum
      http://www.fruitipedia.com/garnu.htm

      Carissa lanceolata
      http://www.fruitipedia.com/conkerberry.htm

      There are pictures and brief deails of these fruits are there in Fruitipedia. I ham also giving the Fruitipedia links with every fruit.

      I can also help you in getting the seeds of Carissa spinarum and C.carandas and Zizyphus rotundifolia.

      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
      www.fruitipedia.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2008
             Any tree can be made into a hedge - just cut off the main leader of the trunk to the height you want, then it will stop growing lengthwise (tall) and branch out more.  This may shorten the life of the tree/shrub, but can be done.  (In fact, any tree can be made into a bonsai, too, with the same principles - just start out with a baby tree.)
             It's best to buy the smallest trees, though, and then the tree will probably adapt better as a shrub - you won't have to keep pruning as much.
        I did a google search on "edible fruiting shrubs" and this is what one site says:

              "Some of the best fruiting shrubs are found in the Prunus (plum) genus. Native to China and Japan, hardy Nanking cherry (Prunus tomentosa) has lovely pale pink flowers all along its stem. It is one of the first shrubs to flower in the spring and can be planted as a single plant but also makes an attractive hedge, growing to about 8 feet. The small red cherries are tart like pie cherries and make excellent jams, jellies and wine.
        http://www.cashmannursery.com/bsef.html

        You'll also have more luck if you find a plant adaptable to your climate, though you can "baby" tropical species.  Good luck on your shrub.
        Gail
        (horticulturist)