[Fwd: COMMENT Arbutus unedo]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17 1:37 AM
      Pedro Moreira () added the comment:

      I don't believe the fruits are toxic...
      Here in Portugal it grows in many places, and the fruit is quite edible,
      though usually is used to make "Aguardente de Medronho" (a type of
      firewater, very strong and aromatic) and also jams.

      What happens is that the fruits begin to decay and ferment, and the
      sugar in the fruit is turned into alcohol.... you can actually get quite
      drunk from eating the fruits, especially if you eat the ones that have
      already fallen....

      I don't have any recipes, though... the firewater is probably distilled
      from ripened fruits (or actually over-ripe fruits)... and you could
      probably make a nice liquer by putting the pulp of some fruits in a
      bottle of "normal" firewater and leave them there for some months....
      That is a common way to make liquers in Portugal, at least, since normal
      firewater (from wine grapes) is commonly available.
      And the jam, I supose would follow common recipes for jam's... like
      cooking the pulp with sugar (and maybe adding some lemon as an
      anti-oxidant, or something....)

      I'll try to look into that....

      BTW: Portuguese common name: "Medronheiro", the fruit is called
      "Medronho" (sounds like spanish MedroƱo)

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2003
        K. GOKSU (kivancgoksu@...) added the comment:

        I live in Turkey and we have some strawberry trees in our garden,
        but we don't know any jam recipe about the fruit of this tree.
        I appreciate if anybody can send me interesting jam recipes or web sites
        include these recipes.

        PC: If the jam is delicious, I promise to send a jar of jam to owner of
        the recipe.