fruiting hedge

  • soslowcat
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
      I want to plant a fruiting hedge to be kept quite low. Any ideas or
      experience out ther.
    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
        How low is low? How much of a hedge?

        You can have espaliered apples etc to whatever height you like but
        maybe that doesn't count as a hedge...

        Sloes and damsons thicken up very well but usually like to get to at
        least 10 feet (3 metres) in height.

        Griselda

        On 29 Nov 2008, at 16:57, soslowcat wrote:

        > I want to plant a fruiting hedge to be kept quite low. Any ideas or
        > experience out ther.

        The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
        that they are so good for you they could save your life.
        By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
        2003
        Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
        The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
        peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
        tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
        (no gluten).
        and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
        Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
        Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
        Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

      • leokea
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
          I experiment for a usefull hedge some thorny fruits as Zyziphus
          Jujube and mucronata, Dovyalis Caffra is also very nice growing now.
          We are looking for any other kind of Dovyalis, especially the
          abysinica and also the tropicla apricot from Florida.
          Leo Flandriae---

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
            The hedge is going to divide a site into allotments and orchard
            running east to west so cannot be so high that it shades the gardens.
          • Clifford Cain
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              How about blackcurrants - planted at 3ft spacing produces bushes they
              will merge into one another. Pick your cultivars and you can have a
              good succession of fruit. Most grow to 4ft so ideal for the
              allotment. Also they are stocky bushes that will tolerate some
              knocking about.
              Regards
              Clifford
              Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
              http://www.fruitscape.co.uk
            • Erez Gur
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                How about Pitanga (Eugenia uniflora).

                It gives lots of great tasting fruit and naturally likes to be a bush.
              • soslowcat
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Thankyou for all the replies to my post....some good ideas..I'll let
                  you all know how we get on.
                  regards
                  Kim

                  www.appleproject.org.uk

                • ariel023@inter.net.il
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Hi Erez Gur
                    Are you from Israel?
                    A few small scale Eugenia uniflora grafted plantations with the GITIT var were planted here
                    Most were pulled out
                    Ariel
                    Israel
                    052-2223209
                    ‭‮

                  • Robert Alcock
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2008
                      Did anyone mention Eleagnus?
                      The ART forest garden in Dartington, Devon has an Eleagnus (Autumn
                      Olive) hedge running along the east of the site which fruits well and
                      keeps the wind off the more sensitive plants.

                      Robert

                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "leokea" <leokeaerts@...> wrote:

                      > I experiment for a usefull hedge some thorny fruits as Zyziphus
                      > Jujube and mucronata, Dovyalis Caffra is also very nice growing now.
                      > We are looking for any other kind of Dovyalis, especially the
                      > abysinica and also the tropicla apricot from Florida.
                      > Leo Flandriae---
                      >
                      > In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Griselda Mussett <griselda1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > How low is low? How much of a hedge?
                      > >
                      > > You can have espaliered apples etc to whatever height you like but
                      > > maybe that doesn't count as a hedge...
                      > >
                      > > Sloes and damsons thicken up very well but usually like to get to
                      > at
                      > > least 10 feet (3 metres) in height.
                      > >
                      > > Griselda
                      > >

                      > > On 29 Nov 2008, at 16:57, soslowcat wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I want to plant a fruiting hedge to be kept quite low. Any ideas
                      > or
                      > > > experience out ther.
                      > > >

                      > > The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                      > > that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                      > > By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October
                      > 20,
                      > > 2003
                      > > Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and
                      > grains.
                      > > The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                      > > peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                      > > tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and
                      > oats
                      > > (no gluten).
                      > > and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries,
                      > Cranberries,
                      > > Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                      > > Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
                      > > Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

                    • liz
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2008
                        i realize problem plants can be very regional, but autumn olive (Eleagnus ) is a terrible pest here in northern michigan. planted as a wildlife food source and landscape plant, it has taken over rural areas to a frightening extent. for instance, fallow farm fields have taken off with a heavy cover of this plant within couple of years.
                        thanks; this is a pet cause of mine.
                        liz