Oca etc

  • Mat Coward
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2008
      Hello - does anyone know whether Oca, Mashua and Ulluco tubers are subject to greening from sunlight, as potatoes are, and if so, whether it renders them poisonous (like green potatoes?)
      Thanks,
      Mat

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2008
        My Oca are red, no greening,
        my Ullucus are green,
        but regarding both , as they are not Solanaceous, it obviousluy dioes not
        have the same consequences as with potatoes..

        Geir Flatabø

        2008/11/22 Mat Coward <matcoward@...>

        > Hello - does anyone know whether Oca, Mashua and Ulluco tubers are subject
        > to greening from sunlight, as potatoes are, and if so, whether it renders
        > them poisonous (like green potatoes?)
        > Thanks,
        > Mat

      • maartendeprez
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2008
          > Hello - does anyone know whether Oca, Mashua and Ulluco tubers are
          subject to greening from sunlight, as potatoes are, and if so, whether
          it renders them poisonous (like green potatoes?)

          I haven't tried but are pretty confident they are safe. Potato is from
          the nightshade family, which generally has many poisonous parts. The
          leaves are poisonous, only the tubers are edible. So when they start
          to grow (or a similar mechanism is put to effect), toxins develop. On
          the other hand, Oca is from the wood sorrel genus, Mashua is from the
          Nasturtium genus and Ulluco is from the same family as Indian Spinach.
          These genusses and families have salad plants that do not develop
          toxins in any part. You can look at the PFAF database and check that
          they all have not only edible roots, but also edible (and some yummy!)
          flowers and leaves. PFAF also doesn't mention any "hazards", except
          from the warning that oca leaves contain oxalic acid and thus are
          harmful in large quantities. So, my non-expert advice is that you are
          safe.

          Greetings,
          Maarten
        • Staci
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2008
            some of my oca grew near to the surface and didn't go green. What are
            the two other tuber you mentioned are they tasty/ grow well

            staci x
          • Mat Coward
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2008
              Thanks for the very helpful replies, everyone.

              <<some of my oca grew near to the surface and didn't go green. What are the two other tuber you mentioned are they tasty/ grow well
              staci x>>

              Yes, mashua and ulluco are both worth a go, in my opinion; cultivation and use (in UK, anyway) very similar to oca.
              cheers
              Mat
              http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/matcoward/

            • Staci