Re: [pfaf] Edibility of Passion flowers

  • hill8628
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2001
      According to IDENTIFYING AND HARVESTING EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS IN WILD
      (AND NOT SO WILD) PLACES by Steve Brill:

      Pasiflora incarnata

      Peel the ripe maypop and enjoy it raw, avoiding the many seeds. It has a
      sweet and cooling flavor. Maypop jams and beverages are popular in the
      South. The fruit is a good source of beta carotene and niacin.

      The leaves and flowers also have antispasmodic and nervine effects. The
      active ingredient is a safe, nonaddictive tranquilizer called maltol,
      although it works properly only with its other constituents.

      A tincture of infusion of the dried leaves and flowers is one of the best
      remedies for insomnia.

      CAUTION: Huge amounts could be harmful.

      Jackie from NY
      Hill8628@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2001
        According to ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HERBAL PLANTS by Andrew Chevallier:

        PASIONFLOWER

        KEY CONSTITUENTS:

        Flavonoids (apigenin)
        Maltol
        Cyanogenic glycosides (gynocardin)
        Indole alkaloids (harman)

        RESEARCH:

        INDOLE ALKALOIDS: Research has not yet conclusively established that
        passionsflower contains indole alkaloids.

        Jackie from NY
        Hill8628@...
        > In our database we list the flowers of Passiflora species as being
        > edible furthermore for Passiflora incarnata (Maypops) the leaves are
        > listed as edible as well. However two other site:
        > http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~gilbert/teaching/zoo369/lect6.html
        >
        > http://www.utexas.edu/admin/opa/oncampus/00oc_issues/oc000727/oc000727.pdf
        > list Passiflora species as containing toxic alkaloids and
        > cyanogenic glycosides. Anyone got any ideas as to the edibility
        > of Passion flowers.
        >
        > ttfn
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/ or http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/
        > Main Site: Blagdon Cross Plant Research and Demonstration Gardens,
        > Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England
        > Tel: (+44 845) 458 4719
        > Email: webmaster@... (web related queries only)

        Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
        Only $9.95 per month!